Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#368659 - 06/06/05 06:45 PM FCRA - Credit Report Audit of Permissible Purpose
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
I am in the process of an audit and happened to pull this as a part of my sample to ensure permissible purpose for pulling a credit report.
We had a customer come in to inquire about qualifing for a loan. The loan officer pulled a credit report and after a glance (huge problems on the report), stated to the customer that he would have to clean up some of the issues on his credit report before he would be able to qualify for a loan.
No actual application. How do you document this for FCRA purposes and how long should we keep it?
Do you have a file for pre qualification inquires that you keep for 25 months.

Return to Top
Audit
#368660 - 06/06/05 11:09 PM Re: FCRA - Credit Report Audit of Permissible Purpose
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I believe the loan officer turned this "inquiry" into a "denial". Read the definition of "application in Reg B (and it's commentary). The loan officer basically told this person "no".

You don't need an "actual application" to pull a credit report. You should retain all documentation that the loan officer had (SSN, etc.), send an adverse action notice and keep all for 25 months.

Return to Top
#368661 - 06/07/05 11:16 PM Re: FCRA - Credit Report Audit of Permissible Purp
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Agreed. He reviewed information and made a decision. This is well beyond the inquiry stage.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z