Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#412980 - 08/25/05 04:44 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I must not have a discriminating palate; to me, soda, diet soda with Splenda, diet soda with Aspertame, diet soda with Saccharin all taste sweet to me. I just choose the 0 calorie stuff.

I had to laugh at the new Coca Cola Zero. No carbs, no calories - hey that's just Diet Coke! But actually, it is the old Diet Coke, with Aspertame. The new Diet Coke is sweetened with Splenda.

And don't get me started on Splenda. My sister in law thinks that, since the ads say it is made with sugar, then it is all natural and better for you. Hey, read the label on the bag - it still says ARTIFICIAL sweetner. And because it IS made with sugar, diabetics still have to watch their consumption.

I tell her that arsenic is an all natural substance too, does that mean it is good for you?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#412981 - 08/25/05 08:21 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

I had to laugh at the new Coca Cola Zero. No carbs, no calories - hey that's just Diet Coke! But actually, it is the old Diet Coke, with Aspertame. The new Diet Coke is sweetened with Splenda.

And don't get me started on Splenda. My sister in law thinks that, since the ads say it is made with sugar, then it is all natural and better for you. Hey, read the label on the bag - it still says ARTIFICIAL sweetner. And because it IS made with sugar, diabetics still have to watch their consumption.

Yeah, but Aspartame gives me migraines, and Splenda doesn't! Makes it pretty wonderful in my book!!

I just saw this on MSN, and thought it was interesting:

"Her complaint, filed about a year ago , was initially investigated by a panel of the New Hampshire Board of Medicine, which recommended that Bennett be sent a confidential letter of concern. The board rejected the suggestion in December and asked the attorney general’s office to investigate."

Hmmmmm.... think there's more to this story than is public knowledge?

Return to Top
#412982 - 08/25/05 08:22 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

I tell her that arsenic is an all natural substance too, does that mean it is good for you?

I just had to giggle at this one Nanwa...arsenic (arsenium) sp...is a homepathic drug that is very benefical used for certain conditions...Heck, most herbs used in eastern and western medicine are poisons...under normal circumstances.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#412983 - 08/26/05 01:16 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I just had to giggle at this one Nanwa...arsenic (arsenium) sp...is a homepathic drug that is very benefical used for certain conditions...Heck, most herbs used in eastern and western medicine are poisons...under normal circumstances.

So are most medicines your doctor gives you.....

Return to Top
#412984 - 08/26/05 02:21 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Quote:

First, let me say that I am overweight but am on the path to changing my habits. I've lost 30 pounds so far.

I ate because I was medicating myself with food. If it wasn't food it would have been alcohol or some other drug. Sad but true.

That being said: there has been a culture in this country that treats fat people (yeah, I said it: FAT) like second class citizens. Lately, however, there has been a massive push into accepting fat people. I think fat people shouldn't be treated inhumanely or discriminated against, however, I certainly don't think they should be coddled and told that it's ok they're fat. (I'm talking morbidly obese)

Fat is unhealthy. Period. And while there are SOME people that have medical conditions that contribute to their weight it can not be for the majority. Not at the rates that we have been experiencing.

Our fatness is due to our culture of having it all, having it big, and having it now. We do not accept the responsibilities of our actions and we need to. AND yes, we need a slap of reality to tell us that we are killing ourselves.

So, BRAVO, to the doctor for telling it like it is. Fat people need to wake up and realize that what they are doing, they are doing to themselves. And it's not ok.

Sorry, if I offend, but it's the way I feel. I am fat. But not for long.

Congrats Swedish Chef , and I fully agree with your comments.

As a young child I had an eating disorder (so that I could be thin). As an adult (45 this year) I have struggled the last several years with a different type of eating disorder - bingeing (without purging), which has given me the problem I was trying to avoid as a child; being fat!

But, in the wisdom that comes with age (for me anyway), I found that eating sensibly and exercising works best. I topped out at 227 lbs (I'm 6ft), but over the last 19 mos I have lost 60+ lbs and am now at 165 lbs. I exercise M-F, eat sensibly, and consume alcohol in moderation. I am more fit now than I ever have been in my life.

My wake up call? A woman at the dry cleaners one day asked me "are you going to be a mommy". I had had a hysterectomy 2 years prior! My derriere is now back up where it is suppose to be! AND I FEEL GOOD ABOUT LIFE AGAIN!

Not to mention all the health issues that has gone away because of the weight loss and exercise! no more acid reflex, depression, herniated disc issues are reduced, etc.

Return to Top
#412985 - 08/26/05 03:52 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So are most medicines your doctor gives you.....

That's why I included Western herbs...so many drugs are plant or synthetic replica's. Most drug's roots are derived from otherwise toxic substances. That doesn't make them necessarily bad, altho all the drugs they advertise lately on tv...the side-effects sound worse than the problem you might take them for!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#412986 - 08/26/05 04:12 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Yeah, what about botox? Isn't that really bad stuff, but if you shoot it in the right places, you look good?

Return to Top
#412987 - 08/31/05 07:03 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, here's the latest on Dr. Bennett........sounds like an A$$ to me

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9135728/

Return to Top
#412988 - 08/31/05 07:23 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Now that doesn't look good. However, in his defense, I have noticed that several of my african american friends do indeed like their women a little plump....

Return to Top
#412989 - 09/01/05 05:39 AM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Now that doesn't look good. However, in his defense, I have noticed that several of my african american friends do indeed like their women a little plump....

???

Return to Top
#412990 - 09/01/05 12:07 PM Re: Woman Offended by Doc's Obesity Advice
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
This doctor is getting harder to defend. I won't defend him despite what Sir Mix-a-lot says.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3