Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#460574 - 11/22/05 06:48 PM REG CC Amendment
LSmith Offline
Platinum Poster
LSmith
What does "Remotely created check" mean? What would be an example?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#460575 - 11/22/05 06:49 PM Re: REG CC Amendment
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
The quick glance I gave to the amendment this morning mentioned telephone authorized debits.

Return to Top
#460576 - 11/22/05 06:49 PM Re: REG CC Amendment
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
Some bill-pay companies create checks on customers' accounts if the payee cannot accept electronic payment.

Return to Top
#460577 - 11/22/05 07:36 PM Re: REG CC Amendment
Latitude 21 Offline
It would be good to read the new rule because the FRB has established a consistent definition for what an RCC is. In place of a signature, a remotely created check generally bears a statement that the customer authorized the check or bears the customer's printed or typed name. These could be for telephone or internet bill payments, insurance drafts, internet checks, etc. While it's a conventient payment method, it is increasingly subject to abuse by fraudsters because of inconsistent or nonexistant state laws governing them. The Reg is very important for any Depositary Bank that accepts RCCs for deposit and for Paying Banks that will now have enhanced return rights.

Return to Top
#460578 - 11/22/05 09:59 PM Re: REG CC Amendment
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Read the BOL News special that covers the amendment.

It's only too bad we have to wait until next July for it to be effective.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#460579 - 11/22/05 11:35 PM Re: REG CC Amendment
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

What does "Remotely created check" mean? What would be an example?

It's a paper check drawn on an account but that is created by someone other than the account owner. You see them quite often in a bill payment situation.

Let's say you send in a check for your cell phone bill and it gets lost in the mail. The phone company calls you because you're late. When you figure out the check never made it to the phone company, they say, "Hey, no problem, with your permission, we can create a check here to put through for you. All you need to do is give me the following information..." Whammo, bammo, they create a replacement paper check and send it through, just like any other check.

Return to Top