°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart

(Excerpt) Read more at
nationalreview
____

Last edited by Andy Z; 12/07/05 01:14 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#466552 - 12/06/05 04:48 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

The bottomline: If employees are unhappy they have the right to quit. If they insist on a union, Walmart has the right to preserve its business model, and close the store. Everybody will know when Wal-Mart employees are underpaid. Nobody will be willing to work there. No employees, no customers, no Wal-Mart. Simple. Let the free market work.

Exactly. And I would add that consumers who object to Wal-Mart's business practices have the right to shop somewhere else. (I do.)

Return to Top
#466553 - 12/06/05 04:49 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
I can't beleive I'm saying this, but amen brother!

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#466554 - 12/06/05 04:50 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Anonymous
Unregistered

I totally agree with this. Unions in different industries are a different thing but I agree with the points in this article.
-RM

Return to Top
#466555 - 12/06/05 05:21 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
Wow...that was very interesting "X". Thank you for that. I have always hated the fact that they pay their employees so little but now I kinda know why.

Return to Top
#466556 - 12/06/05 05:41 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Once again, I agree with X.

Return to Top
#466557 - 12/06/05 06:28 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
most of the management in my bank don't make $18/hr.

Return to Top
#466558 - 12/06/05 06:29 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
I would willingly give my left marble for $18/hr.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#466559 - 12/06/05 06:31 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
Yes I as well.

Return to Top
#466560 - 12/06/05 07:18 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
Quote:

I would willingly give my left marble for $18/hr.

Easy solution: move to southern California. I'm sure I could probably be making two to three times what I am making now if I did. The tradeoff would simply be not being able to afford owning my own house. A larger income doesn't do you much good if the cost of living is even higher (i.e. California).

Return to Top
#466561 - 12/06/05 07:18 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Are you sure you're talking about "management" and not just "supervisors"?

Return to Top
#466562 - 12/06/05 07:19 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
That's why I left Dallas, because of the cost of living.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#466563 - 12/06/05 07:29 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

...... A larger income doesn't do you much good if the cost of living is even higher (i.e. California).

I am currently earning less than 80% of what I was four years ago - but in the same time I have moved from a 700sqft townhouse, built in 1905, with a 15ftx35ft back garden to a substantial single family home on three acres. It's not how much you earn that is important, it's what you can buy with your take home pay.

Return to Top
#466564 - 12/06/05 07:31 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I know the manager of a Sam's Club in FL, and he makes a base of about $70k and a bonus of $175k last year.

Cha-ching.

Return to Top
#466565 - 12/06/05 07:44 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

I know the manager of a Sam's Club in FL, and he makes a base of about $70k and a bonus of $175k last year.

Cha-ching.

Are they hiring???? Florida sounds good right now with the high today of 7 above and windchill of about 20 below!!

Return to Top
#466566 - 12/06/05 08:39 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Quote:

Quote:

Let me clarify, anybody short of branch presidents or senior vps. We are a decent size bank, 2.6 billion in assets but are only state chartered.

Return to Top
#466567 - 12/06/05 08:42 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
That's weak man. When I was trying to get on at this other bank they were going to start me at 20.00 p/h as Branch Manager.

Return to Top
#466568 - 12/06/05 08:52 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would never shop there. no one i know shops there. if there was no walmart where would poorer people shop? i cry when i hear employees have no benefits. walmart should be banned. i dont want one in my town. i asked my councilman if we could get an ordinance banning walmart and he said it would not pass constitutional review. so i asked if we could ban all retail stores over say 5000 square feet. they are looking into it. another town i know walmart came in and a mall too and their downtown died. if our towns lose their downtowns we lose the character and the very soul of our communities, plus a lot of small shops and the jobs they create. i prefer to shop in small specialty shops anyway. even if prices are higher. i shooped once at walmart i wore a hat and sunglasses so no one would see me. it would be to embarrassing to be seen there like i was too poor to have nice things or that i was too concerned about saving money.

Return to Top
#466569 - 12/06/05 08:55 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

i would never shop there. no one i know shops there. if there was no walmart where would poorer people shop? i cry when i hear employees have no benefits. walmart should be banned. i dont want one in my town. i asked my councilman if we could get an ordinance banning walmart and he said it would not pass constitutional review. so i asked if we could ban all retail stores over say 5000 square feet. they are looking into it. another town i know walmart came in and a mall too and their downtown died. if our towns lose their downtowns we lose the character and the very soul of our communities, plus a lot of small shops and the jobs they create. i prefer to shop in small specialty shops anyway. even if prices are higher. i shooped once at walmart i wore a hat and sunglasses so no one would see me. it would be to embarrassing to be seen there like i was too poor to have nice things or that i was too concerned about saving money.

Well, that's insulting.

Return to Top
#466570 - 12/06/05 08:57 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Quote:

That's weak man. When I was trying to get on at this other bank they were going to start me at 20.00 p/h as Branch Manager.

Yeah, Branch Managers make 12-15/hr. No love here.

Return to Top
#466571 - 12/06/05 09:11 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Flower Child Offline
100 Club
Flower Child
Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's insulting.

I agree. Very snobby!

Return to Top
#466572 - 12/06/05 09:32 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's insulting.

I agree. Very snobby!

Unfortunately, the hat had "I heart Wal-Mart" on it and their cover was blown.

Wal-Mart is a big clumsy behemoth, but where else are you going to get papertowels for a buck? In the tiny town where my in-laws live, they have both a Wal-Mart and a K-Mart. The "mom and pops" are still in business, although they may have altered how they do business - more customer service and specialty services. If you can't beat 'em, do it a little different and a little better.

Signed,
Suzy

Return to Top
#466573 - 12/06/05 09:58 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let me clarify, anybody short of branch presidents or senior vps. We are a decent size bank, 2.6 billion in assets but are only state chartered.

Only state chartered? What does that have to do with anything?

Return to Top
#466574 - 12/06/05 10:28 PM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
My wife is in walmart almost every day...wouldn't surprise me if she had something going with the deli manager...but in reality, their cost is so much lower than the other stores in towen.

Return to Top
#466575 - 12/07/05 03:18 AM Re: Fear and Loathing Wal-Mart
TNBanker Offline
100 Club
Has anybody checked out jib-jabs new song - Big Box Mart? It's a good spoof on Wal-Mart.

Link: Big Box Mart

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2