Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#493312 - 02/03/06 05:17 PM Loan Payoff Fee
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Can we charge a loan payoff fee if the fee was not listed in the TIL or the note? I do not think we can, because both say there is no prepayment penalty.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#493313 - 02/03/06 05:24 PM Re: Loan Payoff Fee
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You should check with legal counsel, but I would hesitate to recommend that you charge any type of fee for which there was not a sufficient contract or that you were automatically entitled too due to some law.

Return to Top
#493314 - 02/03/06 05:32 PM Re: Loan Payoff Fee
CRB Offline
New Poster
My opinion is that its not a fee that has to be disclosed for TIL purposes--it isn't assessed at the time of loan close and is not a fee that is certain to be assessed during the life of the loan. Whether its a prepayment penalty is a state law issue, if you are a state chartered bank, you may wish to research whether you have a statute on the topic and whether it is a type of fee that may be considered a prepay. You could potentially avoid that implication by describing it as a service fee.
Whether its a fee that has to be part of your loan contract--I think the safest thing is to include it as a miscellaneous fee.

Return to Top
#493315 - 02/04/06 01:47 AM Re: Loan Payoff Fee
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What is the fee for? We charged a fee for other creditors getting payoffs. The consumer wasn't charged. This wasn't disclosable. State laws may require disclosure and may even require that you provide X free payoff quotes every X days or months.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z