Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#51990 - 01/03/03 03:55 PM SSN help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

A customer is calling (and frankly wanting to argue) what authority do banks have in asking for a person's Social Security Number as a sencondary form of ID, when verifying their identity over the phone.

I believe bank's have the authority from the Bank Secrecy Act and knowing our customer to make sure we verify that the person on the phone is our customer.

What are you'alls thoughts...

BOL User

Return to Top
General Discussion
#51991 - 01/03/03 04:04 PM Re: SSN help needed
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Look to 31 CFR 103.34(a). Changes to the BSA statutes brought about by the USA PATRIOT Act require us to obtain the customer's TIN.

Since we've got it, and it's often readily available on account inquiry screens, we should be able to use it to identify the telephone customer.

Return to Top
#51992 - 01/03/03 04:07 PM Re: SSN help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info Bart...

Return to Top
#51993 - 01/03/03 04:09 PM Re: SSN help needed
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
The bank has the responsibility of verifying the customer's identity over the phone and knowing the customer, but I don't believe the SSN is mandated. Anything you can think of could be used, ranging from mother's maiden name, to date and amount of last deposit, to a prearranged password. It should be something that only the customer should know and quite frankly, SSN isn't all that reliable as an identity thief could obtain that information easily.

If your system allows it, for this customer perhaps you could arrange a password and note it on their accounts. Then anyone who happens to take the call would see that unless they give this password, no information is to be given over the phone. It would appease the customer and show them that your bank does take the privacy issue seriously.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#51994 - 01/03/03 04:13 PM Re: SSN help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Susan for your great help...

PS...I like your disclaimer...Very cool...

Return to Top
#51995 - 01/03/03 04:13 PM Re: SSN help needed
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
While we're on the subject...
Where is it required that we obtain a SSN/TIN for loan customers? It looks like 31 CFR 103.34 covers deposit accounts only. Is there another place to look?

Return to Top
#51996 - 01/03/03 04:16 PM Re: SSN help needed
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Proposed PATRIOT Act, section .121(b)(2)(i)(A), based on information I received at a seminar back in October.

Return to Top
#51997 - 01/03/03 04:17 PM Re: SSN help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that we have authority from the US Gov, Dept of Treasury with the BSA Regulations

Return to Top
#51998 - 01/03/03 04:22 PM Re: SSN help needed
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
Still just proposed though right? Nothing I can hang my hat on? I have a COO that only wants to check loans once a year for missing TIN and I need some backup to do it more often. We have the tools, just need to get something in black and white.

Return to Top
#51999 - 01/03/03 05:08 PM Re: SSN help needed
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If the borrower is an individual and the loan is secured by real estate, IRS regulations require you to obtain an SSN for 1098 reporting purposes.

Final CIP regs have not been published - last credible estimate I heard was that they would be out in January.

Return to Top