Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#559638 - 05/30/06 05:14 PM Coliform in Well Water Test
Piano Man Offline
Gold Star
Piano Man
Down South
I had to do a water test for our mortgage closing on Monday. We have coliform in the water. I can't get in touch with my lender, and I am wondering what this is going to do to my closing. My loan will be sold on the secondary market.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#559639 - 05/30/06 05:32 PM Re: Coliform in Well Water Test
WheezeKid Offline
100 Club
New Jersey
P-Man,

Can only speak to what I went through, but this was for a construction loan. I had coliform in my well and could not obtain approval from the health dept. to obtain my CO and subsequent final draw. After failing twice, I ran the water semi-consistently for 12 hours (every sink, shower, hose), purchased a filtration system for an unrelated iron issue (circa $1000 last year), and finally passed on the third attempt.

Return to Top
#559640 - 05/30/06 05:37 PM Re: Coliform in Well Water Test
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
It's been 100 years since I've underwritten to secondary marketing guidelines, but we would not let a loan close without a clear water test. Your lender will have a difficult time, at best. And why would you want to close on a home whose water is contaminated with coliform?

Return to Top
#559641 - 05/30/06 05:56 PM Re: Coliform in Well Water Test
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I agree with SusieQ and wheezekid-regardless of the lenders requirements, you should require the seller to have the well treated to enusre there is no positive result for bacteria. On the lenders side, I am not aware of any secondary market requirements for acceptable water quality tests, but we do require the buyers to sign a hold harmless when the property has a well and/or septic system.
Your local health authority may have its own requirements as well.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z