Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Thread Options
#596132 - 08/10/06 04:13 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Just heard on the radio, they are now advising passengers to arrive at airports AT LEAST 4 hourse prior to ETD. This is obviously very serious. Everyone in my family has been on a plane in the last month. I for one don't care what spin is being put on this. I only care for the safety of my loved ones and everyone else who is flying. That is the important thing!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#596133 - 08/10/06 04:15 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Option one is to pretend that 9/11 was an isolated incident (or a hidden internal conspiracy), not the revelation of a new and serious long-term danger. Many anti-war types prefer option one. Option two is to acknowledge the danger of mass-scale terrorism using weapons of mass destruction, but rely on negotiations, economic incentives, “grand bargains,” etc. to solve the problem (the favorite Democratic solution). In the absence of a credible threat of force (and maybe even then, given the nature of our terrorist foe), I think option two is doomed. Option three is to deploy force to preempt one rogue state and frighten others, while depending on a rapidly-spreading wave of democratization to assure long-term change, and permit relatively rapid American military withdrawal. Option three is not working out as planned. Option four is an expanded American military and a combination of more attacks (eg. a strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities) with an extended and enlarged occupation of Iraq, working real social transformation and democratization. In the absence of a major new terror strike on the U.S., or an Iran on or over the nuclear brink, option four is politically unsustainable.

This seems to me to be an isolated incident that has been contained.

Guess we can mark Suzy down for option one.

You can do anything you want, -5-; is there anyway to stop you? Say, while you're marking me down, can you make me taller with bigger...diamonds? Oh, and I'd also liked to be marked down for chicken salad for lunch.

Suzy

Return to Top
#596134 - 08/10/06 04:17 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again on risk management, even with pre-911 level security, you or I are less likely to be killed in a terrorist attack than to be hit by a bus.

Are you suggesting that in managing our limited security resources, we'd save more lives if we devoted more time to managing the risk of folks getting hit by buses and less to terrorist attacks.

The bus example is facetious, but we do have limited resources and virtually unlimited risks, including those posed by natural disasters (e.g., Katrina). We, as a country, don't do a great job at balancing. I'm not singling out this administration. Certainly Bush overemphasizes the terror risk compared with other risks, but Gore would have overemphasized the global warming risk.

The Office of Homeland Security should really be an Office of National Risk Management, and take an objective view of all the risks facing our country.

It's human nature though, we fear a terrorist attack because we saw the horrific scenes of 911. We may not buckle our seatbelts, we may light up another cigarette, or eat another BK quad-stacker, all of which pose more risk to our lives personally than a terrorist attack.

Those examples you gave TICG are examples of risks we can personally manage. If i smoke, drink and eat quad stackers everyday, that is my choice and I need to live with the consequences. (until i sue RJ Reynolds, Budweiser and BK because these are all bad for me and I didn't know better ) but I personally don't have a lot of control over the airport security.

We obviously have limited resources, and yes, we (gov't) may react to the issue of the day, but what options are there??? Don't we have to respond to this and do what we can to avoid it, or at least minimize it?

First of all, yes, the fact that this was caught was a good thing. Second, I am not pointing fingers at the administration (this time).

Putting aside those risks you can personally manage, even if we focus just on national level risks, what are the risks of a death or injury from a terrorist attack vs. those from a flood or a hurricane? Among terrorist threats, where are they greatest? Are we looking at the totality of the threats out there? While some TSA loser is yelling at your grandma for bringing her hand lotion on the plane to Toledo, terorists could be plotting to blow up the midtown tunnel in NY. Limiting it just to airline security, screening should be tougher on international flights, and flights to NY, and DC. Young males of arab descent or foreign nationals from certain countries should be scrutinized closer than some blond haired, blue eyed girl from Texas. Is that politically incorrect, yes, but it's also good risk management. Might that girl from Texas also blow up the plane -- it's a possibility -- but not as likely as the 25 year old male student here on a visa from Syria.

Return to Top
#596135 - 08/10/06 04:18 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Oh, and I'd also liked to be marked down for chicken salad for lunch.

I would do that for you, Suzy, but, based on your postings, I'm afraid you might confuse it with something much less tasty.

Return to Top
#596136 - 08/10/06 04:20 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, and I'd also liked to be marked down for chicken salad for lunch.

I would do that for you, Suzy, but, based on your postings, I'm afraid you might confuse it with something much less tasty.

Tuna?

Suzy

Return to Top
#596137 - 08/10/06 04:21 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Yeah, tuna...

Return to Top
#596138 - 08/10/06 04:21 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
"Why isn't the left also patting anyone responsible (regardless of political affiliation) on the back? "

Because even though this story broke out of London, and isn't a left or right issue, we are under President Bush's watch, and good golly, there is simply no way anything good can happen while he is in office. The hate some people have for him is sad.

This thread was more or less non political until SP said:

"I agree. I think this administration will grab at any straw to make their decisions in Iraq seem valid and if that means causing mass panic, then that's what they will do. ". This was in response to TICG commenting that the government shouldn't reveal so many details about these type of things.

Can't the story simply be what it is? Hard working men and women stopping these terrorists from murdering innocent people. Nah-lets say it was all a set up to make Bush look better and win the November elections....

Return to Top
#596139 - 08/10/06 04:26 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

"Why isn't the left also patting anyone responsible (regardless of political affiliation) on the back? "

Because even though this story broke out of London, and isn't a left or right issue, we are under President Bush's watch, and good golly, there is simply no way anything good can happen while he is in office. The hate some people have for him is sad.

"I agree. I think this administration will grab at any straw to make their decisions in Iraq seem valid and if that means causing mass panic, then that's what they will do. ". This was in response to TICG commenting that the government shouldn't reveal so many details about these type of things.

Can't the story simply be what it is? Hard working men and women stopping these terrorists from murdering innocent people. Nah-lets say it was all a set up to make Bush look better and win the November elections....

Amen!

Return to Top
#596140 - 08/10/06 04:27 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Didn't you see the posts from "kind anon" of the SPADL yesterday? You are not allowed to snipe or even disagree with SP. And you certainly aren't allowed to use a "crazy" emoticon when speaking about her!

P.S. Snarkiness is also discouraged.

Return to Top
#596141 - 08/10/06 04:31 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again on risk management, even with pre-911 level security, you or I are less likely to be killed in a terrorist attack than to be hit by a bus.

Are you suggesting that in managing our limited security resources, we'd save more lives if we devoted more time to managing the risk of folks getting hit by buses and less to terrorist attacks.

The bus example is facetious, but we do have limited resources and virtually unlimited risks, including those posed by natural disasters (e.g., Katrina). We, as a country, don't do a great job at balancing. I'm not singling out this administration. Certainly Bush overemphasizes the terror risk compared with other risks, but Gore would have overemphasized the global warming risk.

The Office of Homeland Security should really be an Office of National Risk Management, and take an objective view of all the risks facing our country.

It's human nature though, we fear a terrorist attack because we saw the horrific scenes of 911. We may not buckle our seatbelts, we may light up another cigarette, or eat another BK quad-stacker, all of which pose more risk to our lives personally than a terrorist attack.

Those examples you gave TICG are examples of risks we can personally manage. If i smoke, drink and eat quad stackers everyday, that is my choice and I need to live with the consequences. (until i sue RJ Reynolds, Budweiser and BK because these are all bad for me and I didn't know better ) but I personally don't have a lot of control over the airport security.

We obviously have limited resources, and yes, we (gov't) may react to the issue of the day, but what options are there??? Don't we have to respond to this and do what we can to avoid it, or at least minimize it?

First of all, yes, the fact that this was caught was a good thing. Second, I am not pointing fingers at the administration (this time).

Putting aside those risks you can personally manage, even if we focus just on national level risks, what are the risks of a death or injury from a terrorist attack vs. those from a flood or a hurricane? Among terrorist threats, where are they greatest? Are we looking at the totality of the threats out there? While some TSA loser is yelling at your grandma for bringing her hand lotion on the plane to Toledo, terorists could be plotting to blow up the midtown tunnel in NY. Limiting it just to airline security, screening should be tougher on international flights, and flights to NY, and DC. Young males of arab descent or foreign nationals from certain countries should be scrutinized closer than some blond haired, blue eyed girl from Texas. Is that politically incorrect, yes, but it's also good risk management. Might that girl from Texas also blow up the plane -- it's a possibility -- but not as likely as the 25 year old male student here on a visa from Syria.

I agree, TICG. I would have to think those risks are looked at, based on information various agencies obtain. Since this plot was geared towards flights, that is what is being checked out now. I would have to think if a plot involving 18 wheelers was exposed, that would be the next area to be looked at.

I would hope that those in charge at the various levels are doing everything possible to stop these threats and terrorists. But regardless of who is in office, I am sure national security is the highest priority.

Return to Top
#596142 - 08/10/06 04:34 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14285388/?GT1=8404
This quotes terrorism experts from around the world. Many are thinking this may have been 'the big one' that has been hinted at for a while now.

Return to Top
#596143 - 08/10/06 04:34 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You can do anything you want, -5-; is there anyway to stop you? Say, while you're marking me down, can you make me taller with bigger...diamonds? Oh, and I'd also liked to be marked down for chicken salad for lunch.

Suzy

Sure, Suzy! We've all pictured you with bigger . . . . diamonds.

Return to Top
#596144 - 08/10/06 04:39 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EVERYONE should be scrutinized, not just arab born or arab looking people. Remember the OK City bombing? My understanding is that these terrorists arrested in the UK were from the UK. Yes, they were Muslims, but they are homegrown.

Return to Top
#596145 - 08/10/06 04:42 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14285388/?GT1=8404
This quotes terrorism experts from around the world. Many are thinking this may have been 'the big one' that has been hinted at for a while now.

I don't buy it. Clearly this story was planted by Bush and all his minions. The November elections are just around the corner....

Return to Top
#596146 - 08/10/06 04:42 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thought this was interesting.....

WASHINGTON (AP) — Eleven Egyptian students who arrived in the United States last month are being sought by authorities after failing to turn up for an exchange program at Montana State University.
The Egyptian men were among a group of 17 students who arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York from Cairo on July 29 with valid visas, according to U.S. authorities and university officials.

The other six have arrived at the Bozeman, Mont., campus for a monthlong program on English language instruction and U.S. history and culture, university spokeswoman Cathy Conover said.

When the 11 didn’t turn up by the end of the last week, the FBI issued a lookout to state and local law enforcement, said FBI Special Agent Richard Kolko.

“At this point all they have done is not show up for a scheduled academic program,” Kolko said. “There is no threat asso-ciated with these men.”

They are between 18 and 22 years old, said a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the search for the men is continuing.

U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement declined to make their names public.
The government probably will seek to send the students home once they are located because they have violated the terms of their visas, the official said.

The government tightened the student visa process after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks when it learned that four of the hijackers entered the country on foreign student visas.

The school has tried repeatedly to contact the students, Conover said, including sending e-mails. When that failed, the school notified Homeland Security officials and registered the Egyptians as “no-shows” in the system developed after Sept. 11 to track foreign students, Conover said.

They were participating in an exchange program Montana State arranged with Mansoura University in Mansoura, Egypt.

“We hope this doesn’t cast doubt on this program because we think it’s important to have international students on our campus and in our community,” Conover said.

Return to Top
#596147 - 08/10/06 04:43 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Just an explanatory note about myself for those that may categorize me as some wild-eyed liberal...

When I heard the news this morning, first thing I think is a great tragedy was avoided. Seconds later however, I'm thinking, crap, like airport security wasn't bad enough -- eventually we'll have to board the plane naked and carry transparent suitcases. You see, while so many you are high-fiveing about the job well done by Scotland Yard, I'm thinking about how we'll all have to suffer needlessly because of this (especially those of us that frequently fly) and why more thought isn't given to the responses to these types of things. I'm basically a negative person who sees a black cloud in every silver lining. I attack the Bush adminstration because they're the ones currently in power screwing things up. In 2008, quite possibly a democrat will take office and if they have the same congressional majorities Bush has, will be able to screw up just as much (just different things). And I'll be criticizing then just as much as I do now -- mark my words.

So, in addition to my charming innuendos, my role here as I see it is to bring you folks down to earth.

Return to Top
#596148 - 08/10/06 04:43 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Yeah, tuna...

I'll take the tuna if Suzy doesn't want it!

-smilin' sunshine

Return to Top
#596149 - 08/10/06 04:44 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

saying that they wouldn't be so quick to put it on the news if it didn't make them look good.

I'm still trying to determine at what point the current administration began controlling the media. can SP post a link for me? I'm very confused

No need to be snarky. If you don't understand that the administration can control the media by what is leaked, to which sources, at certain times, based on favors for later scoops, etc. then you aren't as savvy as you pretend to be.

Wow, if you think the administration is so 1984 as to be able to control the leaks and get the press under their thumb, then tell me why anyone found out Darlin' Dick done shot his buddy at all, and why the Bush administration has such an image problem? If they were really in control, don't you think they'd leak only the things that make them look good?

Return to Top
#596150 - 08/10/06 04:44 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
The lastest news I saw was that intelligence was developed following arrests in Afghanistan several weeks ago. Investigation of these leads broke resulted in the discovery of the plot.

I saw one story in which the drive-by media is suggesting we are over reacting. Huh?

Return to Top
#596151 - 08/10/06 04:46 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Just an explanatory note about myself for those that may categorize me as some wild-eyed liberal...

When I heard the news this morning, first thing I think is a great tragedy was avoided. Seconds later however, I'm thinking, crap, like airport security wasn't bad enough -- eventually we'll have to board the plane naked and carry transparent suitcases. You see, while so many you are high-fiveing about the job well done by Scotland Yard, I'm thinking about how we'll all have to suffer needlessly because of this (especially those of us that frequently fly) and why more thought isn't given to the responses to these types of things. I'm basically a negative person who sees a black cloud in every silver lining. I attack the Bush adminstration because they're the ones currently in power screwing things up. In 2008, quite possibly a democrat will take office and if they have the same congressional majorities Bush has, will be able to screw up just as much (just different things). And I'll be criticizing then just as much as I do now -- mark my words.

So, in addition to my charming innuendos, my role here as I see it is to bring you folks down to earth.

WOW! could you be anymore self-centered? No props for the cautions being taken...just that you are going to be inconvenienced??? Get over yourself!!!!

Return to Top
#596152 - 08/10/06 04:48 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Quote:

WOW! could you be anymore self-centered? No props for the cautions being taken...just that you are going to be inconvenienced??? Get over yourself!!!!

You don't think a million others are thinking the same thing? I'm at least honest enough to say it.

Return to Top
#596153 - 08/10/06 04:49 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Wait a second, so you're thinking there would be LESS hassle if they hadn't been stopped than there is because we found out about the plot and stopped it?

Return to Top
#596154 - 08/10/06 04:51 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EVERYONE should be scrutinized, not just arab born or arab looking people. Remember the OK City bombing? My understanding is that these terrorists arrested in the UK were from the UK. Yes, they were Muslims, but they are homegrown.

That's a great theory, but it doesn't work in real life. If we scrutinize everyone, we shut down our transportation system. The next best thing is to profile would be terrorists. I am sorry, but there are more terrorists that look like Middle Easterners than look like Timothy McVeigh.

The UK terrorist were homegrown, but when their pictures come out, I doubt they'll look like John, Paul, George, or Ringo.

Return to Top
#596155 - 08/10/06 04:51 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah maybe, but there are millions of others saying, "I understand...at least everyone is safe, it sucks that we all have to be put out like this, but under the circumstances it certainly is understandable!" Try putting others infront of yourself and get the other point of view!

Return to Top
#596156 - 08/10/06 05:07 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You don't think a million others are thinking the same thing? I'm at least honest enough to say it.

Honestly, I think you are right. I would not be happy to have to show up 4 hours early for a flight.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10