Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GuitarDude - Don't even get me started on the Hot Coffee issue. That's just nuts!

The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill. The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonald's coffee sales.

Post-verdict investigation found that the temperature of coffee at the local Albuquerque McDonald's had dropped to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.

The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 -- or three times compensatory damages -- even though the judge called McDonald's conduct reckless, callous and willful. Subsequent to remittitur, the parties entered a post-verdict settlement.

I did a paper on this back in my Law School days. The part of the story that most people are not aware of is that the woman's husband subsequently sued McDonald's for "Loss of his wife's services" and was awarded somewhere around 1.5 mil.

I've never heard that. Got any reliable proof online?

Let me see if I can dig up my papers from college. I'll let you know.
Last edited by Bimmer; 08/31/06 06:38 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#607811 - 08/31/06 06:42 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Buddy, I realize they found her 20% negligent. I'm not "against" Stella. I'm just "against" the decline of common sense. The people that are completely against her or completely against McDonald are not using any.
SP - They wouldn't have known that. If it is labeled as "hot" are you going to take your chances that it's not as hot as someplace else and think "well, this isn't McDonald's, I'll just stick this between my legs"? Like I said it's a common sense thing on both sides of the coffee fence.

Return to Top
#607812 - 08/31/06 07:28 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Buddy, I realize they found her 20% negligent. I'm not "against" Stella. I'm just "against" the decline of common sense. The people that are completely against her or completely against McDonald are not using any.
SP - They wouldn't have known that. If it is labeled as "hot" are you going to take your chances that it's not as hot as someplace else and think "well, this isn't McDonald's, I'll just stick this between my legs"? Like I said it's a common sense thing on both sides of the coffee fence.

I understand what you are saying and I agree up to a point. I think the point you are missing is that the coffee at McDonald's wasn't just "hot." It was "molten lava hot" and no one was made aware it was much hotter than a normal cup of coffee.

Return to Top
#607813 - 08/31/06 07:40 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
So... let's vote... should the Hedgehog Preservation Society make it their next order of business to lobby McD's to put warnings in all dialects of hedgehog language about the temperature of the coffee on all the cups, too? After all, if the little furry guys are such sugar freaks, they might be hot on the trail of any recently-discarded half-full still-molten-lava-hot cuppas!

Return to Top
#607814 - 08/31/06 07:41 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
SP - I see your point. And no, I'm not missing the point that McD's coffee was hotter than everyone elses. That's why I'm not "siding" with anyone on this issue. I can tell you aren't either.
Question- Has the food service industry ever put a maximum temperature that coffe can be served at by a restaurant? If not, maybe they need to be regulated the way banks are. tee hee, tee hee.

Return to Top
#607815 - 08/31/06 07:49 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Not the dreaded "Coffee Temperature Act" soon-to-be-passed by Congress?

Before we know it, there will be one employee at each McDonald's branch designated as the CTA/Compliance officer...

Return to Top
#607816 - 08/31/06 07:48 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
LMAO!!

Return to Top
#607817 - 08/31/06 07:56 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Quote:

Before we know it, there will be one employee at each McDonald's branch designated as the CTA/Compliance officer...

I thought that was the little old lady/gent serving coffee at breakfast each morning in the lobby at mcD's. That's the job I want when I retire - forget Wally World!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#607818 - 08/31/06 08:52 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Peepers Offline
10K Club
What preys on a hedgehog?

Perhaps the pee of that animal can be mixed in with McFlurrys. The hedgehog would take one sniff of that container and move along. Problem solved.

Return to Top
#607819 - 08/31/06 08:57 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
mmmmmm hedgehog-predator-pee-McFlurry!!!! (say it in your best Homer Simpson voice... it's funny, really it is!)

Return to Top
#607820 - 08/31/06 08:58 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Here is a copy of a doomed hedgehog: http://www.brentlodge.org/images/general/McFlurry.jpg

Looks like natural selection to me.

Return to Top
#607821 - 08/31/06 09:15 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Okay, so one hedgehog gets caught in a McFlurry cup and Mickey D's has to change the size of their cup.

Peeps, how much jerky would you get out of one hedgehog??? They don't look very big!

Return to Top
#607822 - 08/31/06 09:15 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I have to disagree a little bit. While I wouldn't put anything hot (no comments Peepers) between my legs for fear of being burned.

No comments allowed?

You’re such a buzzkill!

Return to Top
#607823 - 08/31/06 09:25 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Okay, so one hedgehog gets caught in a McFlurry cup and Mickey D's has to change the size of their cup.

Peeps, how much jerky would you get out of one hedgehog??? They don't look very big!

Seeing as how hedgehogs stick their whole freaking heads in McFlurry containers when everyone know you use a spoon, I’m not sure I would want to make jerky out of one.

What if eating hedgehog jerky caused an overwhelming desire in me to mimic this behavior? What then? Where would it end?

Would I try to stick my head in beer bottles?

I’m not willing to take this chance.

Return to Top
#607824 - 08/31/06 09:30 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Quote:

Yep, first time meat is actually found in a McD's food container and people complain. You just can't satisfy everyone.

Return to Top
#607825 - 08/31/06 09:47 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Duke Offline
100 Club
Duke
North Eastern CA
And now since the opening is smaller, what poor little animal is going to get its head stuck in it??? Hopefully those poor little critters will have their own society as well!!

Duke

Return to Top
#607826 - 08/31/06 09:49 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
Quote:

Quote:

Seeing as how hedgehogs stick their whole freaking heads in McFlurry containers when everyone know you use a spoon, I’m not sure I would want to make jerky out of one.

What if eating hedgehog jerky caused an overwhelming desire in me to mimic this behavior? What then? Where would it end?

Would I try to stick my head in beer bottles?

I’m not willing to take this chance.

I don't know if BOL could handle a bottle head Peepers

Return to Top
#607827 - 09/01/06 12:37 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Oh Peeps, oh Snowqueen! You have me laughing/crying in my cubicle! I guess I needed a good laugh this week. Thanx for that beer bottle image!

Wonder if the hedgehog gets brain freeze, eating a McFlurry without a spoon?

Return to Top
#607828 - 09/01/06 04:46 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
Quote:

And now since the opening is smaller, what poor little animal is going to get its head stuck in it??? Hopefully those poor little critters will have their own society as well!!

Usally at a BBQ, Ants and Flies like to join the party. Is there a PAF society? That would be the Preservation of Ants and Flies.

Return to Top
#607829 - 09/01/06 07:01 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Oh Peeps, oh Snowqueen! You have me laughing/crying in my cubicle! I guess I needed a good laugh this week. Thanx for that beer bottle image!

Ok...I may be asking a stupid question...but I don't frequent "Mickey D's" very often...

Is there REALLY something called a "McFlurry" there???

Return to Top
#607830 - 09/01/06 06:59 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I can think of a number of people who eat at McDonald's that need to get their head stuck so they can't eat...

Return to Top
#607831 - 09/01/06 07:01 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
Quote:

Quote:

Ok...I may be asking a stupid question...but I don't frequent "Mickey D's" very often...

The Mickey D's version of a DQ Blizzard!

Return to Top
#607832 - 09/01/06 07:08 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Or Culver's version is called "Concrete".

Return to Top
#607833 - 09/01/06 09:17 PM Re: Hedgehogs humble McDonalds
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Mickey D's version of a DQ Blizzard!

Ahhhh...now the DQ Blizzard...I'm familiar with that!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2