Turnpike Exit 10
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Hi gang! I am posting from home today, because
my son doesn't have school and his emergency babysitter
is sick. Boo hoo...
The funny thing is that when I told my fiance, he was upset,
because for the first time in his life ever, and I mean ever,
he said he sent flowers to my office! So it looks like
I'll be popping in the office later on anyway!

He didn't think that it was as funny as I did.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#61399 - 02/14/03 02:31 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
mmason Offline
Gold Star
New England
I was thinking it was ironic that the first time I have flowers in my office on Valentines Day they're not even from my husband. My niece used my car for her drivers test and got her license so I let her keep the car for the rest of the day and she brought me flowers as a thank you. That's ok though, the necklace I got this morning will last longer than flowers

Return to Top
#61400 - 02/14/03 02:39 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
The radio today was reading off romantic poems that they have seen. It was the funniest thing I heard. Here is one: "I love you little...I love you big...I love you like a pot belly pig."

Return to Top
#61401 - 02/14/03 02:56 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
My wife has a plethora of allergies, so flowers are out. We didn't even have flowers at our wedding!

Return to Top
#61402 - 02/14/03 03:05 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Many years ago, my mother sent me a singing valentine, a barbershop quartet. The lobby to the bank was absolutely full with lines going out the door. Remember this was a payday, a military bank and the military wasn't all on direct deposit back then.

They HAD to deliver it in the lobby. I don't recall all the words, but the last line this young banker heard was "and your mother loves you". I was so embarrassed my face was valentines red.

Mom is gone now, but it is a great memory. Thanks for bringing this up. I hadn't thought about it in a long time.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#61403 - 02/14/03 03:08 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Would youy say that I have a plethora of gifts? Si, si El Guapo, I would definitely say you had a plethora. Jeffe, what is a plethora? Could it be that once again El Guapo is mad at something else and is taking it out on poor Jeffe?"

Return to Top
#61404 - 02/14/03 03:16 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
I ordered my wife's flowers a week and ½ ago and had them sent to the office. In addition to it being Valentine's Day, it's the anniversary of our engagement. To forget that, HOT WATER!! However, we did discuss that with the baby coming, this would be the last one. (Now, I just have to find out if by 'discussing' this, means that I'm off the hook, or if I only think I'm off the hook...)

Happy Friday all!

Return to Top
#61405 - 02/14/03 03:29 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is it about flowers? My wife just can't understand that I refuse to send flowers on a Hallmark holiday. Granted, I don't send them very often, maybe twice, but I can't do it on a holiday. Just seems trite. Doesn't it mean more when it happens just for the heck of it - on a random day when the occasional love gush occurs?

Return to Top
#61406 - 02/14/03 03:29 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
You got engaged on Valentines Day -- how romantic, our "egagement anniversary" is Ground Hogs Day -- wonder what that means?

Return to Top
#61407 - 02/14/03 03:36 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
In reply to:

it's the anniversary of our engagement

I can't be required to remember such things. I didn't have my Outlook calendar or a PDA back then.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#61408 - 02/14/03 03:39 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
t cochran Offline
t cochran
Great Falls, MT
My husband doesn't ever send flowers. Doesn't understand why someone would want something that just dies. He makes up for it in many other ways, though, so I can't complain. We have a fellow employee getting married today. Nice gal and we wish her well. (The champagne last night in celebration may be why I am tired today.) I don't know that I would want to get married on Valentines Day. Talk about seeming trite...

Return to Top
#61409 - 02/14/03 03:49 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
My husband owns a resturant and today is one of our busiest days of the year. So every Valentines Day I have the luxury of working that night. At least were together, right?

It's actual quite fun to watch all the couples that come out for dinner. The men are trying to impress the women and the women are ordering very expensive meals!!!!!

Return to Top
#61410 - 02/14/03 03:52 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
My Palm has a reminder on that day that says "SHE SAID YES!"

It's been on there since the days of my Sharp OZ-9500 and Kim just saw it this week. I got major points for that!

Return to Top
#61411 - 02/14/03 03:55 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
In reply to:

our "egagement anniversary" is Ground Hogs Day -- wonder what that means?

My wife and I met in person for the first time on groundhogs day. Now you've got me wondering....

Return to Top
#61412 - 02/14/03 04:04 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
My husband and I decided on Valentine's Day 15 years ago to change our wedding date from the end of May to February 27th (no, there weren't any little surprises on the way). I am one of the few women out there who much prefer a card over flowers any day. I have a box where I keep all of our written correspondence over the years, and plan to put it in a Memory Book for him for a future anniversary.

He is surprising me with a weekend trip somewhere the weekend after our 15th anniversary, and I am really looking forward to seeing where we go. He has always been great about coming up with unique ways of celebrating our anniversary.

Return to Top
#61413 - 02/14/03 04:04 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

I proposed the day before the Coca Cola 600, having flown from the UK for it.

Did I fly to propose, or for the race? Now there's a question!

Return to Top
#61414 - 02/14/03 04:08 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I have a good memory for most things, anniversaries and such fly right by me. So, after marriage # 1 did not work, I made sure when I proposed the 2nd time around, that our wedding date would be in the Year 2000 - this way I will at least never forget how many years it has been. Of course, now I have to figure out how to remember the date. I guess that is what Outlook pop-up reminders are for!

Return to Top
#61415 - 02/14/03 04:20 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

After 12 years of marriage, I still get a chuckle about our wedding day. We were married on a Friday, the day after Thanksgiving one year. My hubby is grateful because he says he will never forget our anniversary since it's the day after Thanksgiving (think about it). We were married in his parent's home. We thought we took care of all of the necessary precautions for a home wedding - the cat was secure in another room, the phone was turned off, etc. However, there was one minor detail we forgot. Just as my husband said "I do", the clock issued a resounding "cuckoo... cuckoo". It's even funnier on the video....watching the camera shake up and down as my videographer brother-in-law can't stop laughing.

Return to Top
#61416 - 02/14/03 04:39 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
I love it... one of our favorite shows..... my little butter cup

Return to Top
#61417 - 02/14/03 04:44 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
My husband and I celebrated our 7th anniversary on Monday. Before I was married my mother kept telling me that if I planned our wedding that close to Valentines Day then I would get hosed out of getting gifts for both occassions. (Nice of her to be thinking of me! ) I explained to her that I was not getting married to receive gifts but because I loved my husband. I do agree with lasvegas that it is nice to receive flowers or cards at unexpected times, not necessarily on designated days. We have only been married 7 years, but we already put a moratorium on getting each other stuff for Valentines day - we would rather get our 2 year old daughter something and see her enjoy it.

Return to Top
#61418 - 02/14/03 04:49 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymoose Offline
Just between us men--I also don't understand why you "refuse" to send her flowers on a Hallmark holiday.

One piece of advice--

If you and your wife do not agree that it is trite, then it is not trite.

If it makes her happy, swallow your convictions and send her flowers on the Hallmark holidays. I mean how strong can your convictions be about something that makes your wife happy? Try asking her if your conviction on this makes her feel like your convictions about trivial matters are more important that her happiness. I bet the answer is yes!

Hey, if a Moose can figure this one out about women, anyone can!!

Return to Top
#61419 - 02/14/03 04:54 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow - I feel like I should now pay the moose for the therapy session. I have seen the light - I will go get some flowers at lunch. But Moose, can you discount your hourly therapy rate so I can afford a bigger bouquet!

Return to Top
#61420 - 02/14/03 04:59 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
MidwestCFE Offline
Platinum Poster
MidwestCFE
wish it was the Smoky Mountain...
Just a little friendly "woman" advice...It's what important to the one you're showing the love TO that is important. not what you think as the giver, that has the most impact..My EX boyfriend thought giving fishing lures for V-day was a great gift because HE liked fishing (I don't..)his repsonses was "it's the thought that counts"...So, what would have the most impact for your wife ? aw heck, send flowers on V-Day & for no reason, that's best!

Return to Top
#61421 - 02/14/03 05:02 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
BBC Offline
New Poster
BBC
NoCal
Today is our 6th Wedding Anniversary. It was a Friday that year too, and we were married in the evening. I figured that if we married on Valentine's Day, he couldn't forget the date. You see, he often forgets my birthday, because it was the anniversary of his first marriage. It seems to have worked, last year I got 17 roses (a dozen for Valentine's Day and 1 for each year we'd been married). Who knows what this year will bring?!?!!?

Return to Top
#61422 - 02/14/03 05:09 PM Re: Friday Frivolity- the ironies of Valentine's Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do men like to get married on St Valentines day because it saves them the cost of one card, one bouquet of flowers, one piece of jewellery and one romantic dinner each year?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4