Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#686049 - 02/13/07 06:01 PM Bank close due to weather
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just learned from my new FI that we do not close in a blizzard ever, unless the Fed closes. Why is this?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#686080 - 02/13/07 06:17 PM Re: Bank close due to weather Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Just your bank's internal rule.

We do not close for weather issues, regardless of what the Fed does.

#686106 - 02/13/07 06:29 PM Re: Bank close due to weather #Just Jay
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
I feel your pain. Once, the state had declared a State of Emergency requesting that everyone stay home and off the roads so they could be cleared due to over a foot of snow. Did we close? NO. Had to get to work, so I don't even bother checking any more. I just go to work.

#686145 - 02/13/07 07:12 PM Re: Bank close due to weather Big Dog
Peg 6897 Offline
100 Club
We've closed for bad weather before. Had to. When you can get arrested for being out in the weather, I'm not driving. We've always managed to get at least 1 branch open, as there are people that live within walking distance (I used to be one of them).

#686247 - 02/13/07 08:15 PM Re: Bank close due to weather Peg 6897
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it because the checks have to get to the Fed? Why does the bank remain open at all costs? Seems the cost of electricity and employee pay isn't worth it to open.

#686335 - 02/13/07 09:29 PM Re: Bank close due to weather Anonymous
SavannahOne Offline
Diamond Poster
Georgia
If you have one branch open you do not have to notify your regulator that you closed AND you can meet your Federal Reserve commitments as to receipt of wires.

Fortunately, we do not have "snow" issues... only the occassional mandatory evacuation for hurricanes (easier to justify closing during those).

#686337 - 02/13/07 09:31 PM Re: Bank close due to weather Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Keep in mind, we still have customers who depend on us to be open...it is up to them to determine the importance of their banking business, not us.

We don't get snow days anymore my friend!

#686361 - 02/13/07 09:53 PM Re: Bank close due to weather #Just Jay
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Us either. Over a foot of snow coming tonight (some spots 24 inches) but I'll be here in the morning (not necessarily bright eyed and bushy tailed though). LOL.

#686380 - 02/13/07 10:00 PM Re: Bank close due to weather P*Q
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would never even think to NOT go to work. Once we had a pretty bad hurricane, I drove through downed trees, flooded intersections, detours...when I got there it was just me and the manager of my Dept!! Everyone else said they could not get through...and I was in my MiniVan!!

I remember once calling a bank in Florida re: a returned item..the Lady was so sweet she let me explain the situation, then politly said in her southern drawl "Mrs. CA...we are currently evacuating the building due to storm XYZ, but if you can give me your number I will call you back as soon as we return to the building...I told her "Get out now" and hung up".

#686827 - 02/14/07 05:23 PM Re: Bank close due to weather Anonymous
KLouise Offline
100 Club
Missouri
Just like Anon, I would never think of NOT going to work. But I live in town. In a rural area some employees who live out "in the country" can't always get to work. Just yesterday the chairman of the board went to get one of our facility managers and take them to the bank! He then picked her up to take her home! We might be short-handed, but we are always open!

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale