Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Thread Options
#705119 - 03/22/07 05:05 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I agree with kms....I think the hybrids are a catch 22-if people could justify the extra cost by gas savings, they would be willing. But in many cases it isn't realistic to think that will happen-the extra up front cost is too high, not to mention the environmental costs that have been previously mentioned due to the production of these cars. Certainly, we can and should be further along with alternative fuels, wind farms, etc, but the hypocrisy is pathetic-there have been several proposals for wind farms down off Cape Cod, but the Kennedys and Kerrys of the world don't want the view from their compounds spoiled.....Even Romney had come out against it fearing it would deter tourism....typical NIMBY....A couple years back during his reelection campaign, the Mayor of Boston was called to the carpet by one of his opponents about the Excursion he was carted around in-he responded by saying he tried to buy a Hybrid Escape, but there was a backlog, to which the opponent again called his bluff, went out and bought one. He reluctantly bought one, but was later caught on tape whining about how small it was (I will say he is not a slim man...) so much talk, little action...

At home, we recycle as much as we can, and have been able to by flourescent light bulbs from our electric company. Every little bit helps.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#705127 - 03/22/07 05:15 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TB 12
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
What Sox says makes sense. It does not have to be a global warming thing for us to become increasingly environmentally conscious. And little things do help, as long as many people are doing those little things, since it rapidly adds up. Recycling, car pooling, etc., alternative sources of fuel will actually be a big one over time, these all add up.

Return to Top
#705129 - 03/22/07 05:17 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Fella and Sox...it is funny you say that...
B/c the one thing Gore has said overwhelmingly in the movie and since is that it is the little things that help. He specifically points out replacing the incadescent bulbs...

Return to Top
#705133 - 03/22/07 05:23 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Neo, do some actual research instead of just listening to the global warming chicken littles. It is cyclical and global warming and cooling has been happening for centuries. The sky isn't falling. Natural forces have been making these changes forever.

Return to Top
#705135 - 03/22/07 05:25 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
It is cyclical.
I believe that it is.
I do think that we're "charging" the current cycle, and acting as catalysts.
Don't be so naive Bengals to think that we're not harming the planet.

Return to Top
#705137 - 03/22/07 05:27 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Fella and Sox...it is funny you say that...
B/c the one thing Gore has said overwhelmingly in the movie and since is that it is the little things that help. He specifically points out replacing the incadescent bulbs...

Yes, but in deference to Al Gore, I am stating that little things help the environment generally, without reference to the alleged man-made causes of global warming.

Not meaning to be preachy, but we are the stewards of creation. If the earth is in its normal cyclical warming period as indicated by the many dissenting scientists, I still want to have a clean place to live and fresh water. That does not require the extreme measures called for by some global warming pundits.

Return to Top
#705141 - 03/22/07 05:32 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
If it is in its normal cyclical warming period, why is this the "hottest" warming periof on record?
If it is normal and cyclical, why have the temperatures raised so much?

Return to Top
#705154 - 03/22/07 05:46 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Dissenting scientist have quoted "hotter" warming periods than this in geological history, and that we are at the tail end of an "interglacial" period of warming...in other words, we may be on the verge of beginning a few millenia of global cooling leading into an ice age a few thousand years from now. See the very informative study below:

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html
Last edited by AMLFella; 03/22/07 05:55 PM.

Return to Top
#705166 - 03/22/07 06:17 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
thanks for the info fella!

Return to Top
#705169 - 03/22/07 06:24 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: AMLFella
Dissenting scientist have quoted "hotter" warming periods than this in geological history, and that we are at the tail end of an "interglacial" period of warming...in other words, we may be on the verge of beginning a few millenia of global cooling leading into an ice age a few thousand years from now. See the very informative study below:

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

ICE AGE????? Turn up the heat in here!!!

Return to Top
#705172 - 03/22/07 06:28 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TB 12
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I am sooo moving back to Hawaii if it comes to that.

Return to Top
#705189 - 03/22/07 06:43 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: kms
I am sooo moving back to Hawaii if it comes to that.

I'll be right behind you.

Return to Top
#705201 - 03/22/07 06:48 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
y'all realize if it is an ice age, hawaii would be cold too...

Return to Top
#705204 - 03/22/07 06:49 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
At least my little part of the world showed up as a forest on his little ice age maps! We may be colder, but we'll still be green!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#705205 - 03/22/07 06:50 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Yes but maybe only as cold as MN or Ny are now, Not like north pole cold

Return to Top
#705241 - 03/22/07 07:14 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
I think the southern hemisphere was spared the direct effects of the ice age, no?

Return to Top
#705257 - 03/22/07 07:21 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I thought so, but I will have to look into it, Take a loan out on my personal value and by a little beach house to prepare

Return to Top
#705260 - 03/22/07 07:22 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
If Hawaii would be spared (I think that is northern hem though, right?) then on my next assignment to Hawaii, I am looking into a hut for moi.

Return to Top
#705266 - 03/22/07 07:24 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Yes it is northern hemi, I reccomend the north shore, the waves are incredible in the winter.

Return to Top
#706685 - 03/26/07 06:47 PM The Politics of Attacking Al Gore kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine

Return to Top
#706688 - 03/26/07 06:52 PM Re: The Politics of Attacking Al Gore Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
NP, have an opinion or point?

Return to Top
#706693 - 03/26/07 06:57 PM Re: The Politics of Attacking Al Gore MB Guy
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Yeah.
It's easy to attack Al Gore.
Except nothing is being done to actually protect the environment.

Return to Top
#706783 - 03/26/07 08:15 PM Re: The Politics of Attacking Al Gore Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
nothing is being done to actually protect the environment.

That's quite a statement. Care to revise?

Return to Top
#706802 - 03/26/07 08:29 PM Re: The Politics of Attacking Al Gore Jokerman
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: -J-
nothing is being done to actually protect the environment.

That's quite a statement. Care to revise?

Sure...The Republicans are doing nothing to combat global warming...

Return to Top
#706808 - 03/26/07 08:32 PM Re: The Politics of Attacking Al Gore Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Wow Neo. You really don't get it do you? Our nation spends billions a year on the environment.

Al Gore champions Global Warming, but doesn't follow his own advice on how to combat it.

And here you are bashing republicans.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12