Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Thread Options
#704890 - 03/22/07 01:50 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
I don't know...same reason why many view the Republicans as the "authority" on morality?

Most people are clueless.

Probably because most liberal democrats think there is no such thing as actual morality. That it's all about what we feel like doing and has nothing to do with what's right. It's all relative to most of them and anything should go.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#704897 - 03/22/07 01:55 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Like I said.
Most people are clueless; left and right.
You forget, despite some of my ideas, I'm pretty much mainstream.
I believe in "right and wrong". I think killing is wrong, in all forms. I think protecting the environment is right. How can we be a society that "values life" and not protect the environment, in the name of free enterprise?

Return to Top
#704918 - 03/22/07 02:14 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
To be accurate, Gore's statement was not that he invented the internet, but rather that: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the internet."

It was a reference to the fact that he sponsored the National High-performance Conputer act in 1988 that established a national computing plan, and that in 1992 he co-sponsored the Information Infrastructure and Technology Act that opened the internet to commercial use.

Return to Top
#704921 - 03/22/07 02:16 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Yossarian
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
To be accurate, Gore's statement was not that he invented the internet, but rather that: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the internet."

It was a reference to the fact that he sponsored the National High-performance Conputer act in 1988 that established a national computing plan, and that in 1992 he co-sponsored the Information Infrastructure and Technology Act that opened the internet to commercial use.

Yoss'...your new here...most of the debates here usually boil down to "Conservatism is right, you're wrong..." or "Liberalism is right, you're wrong..." so a lot of time...you know...things like facts and reason get lost.

Last edited by NeophytePolitico; 03/22/07 02:23 PM.
Return to Top
#704923 - 03/22/07 02:22 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
#704928 - 03/22/07 02:26 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Jokerman
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Nice one -J-

Return to Top
#704951 - 03/22/07 02:48 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
I don't understand why people are fighting against this so hard. Even if SUVs and car exhaust aren't the major contributing factor to global warming, they're certainly not helping the enviroment. And our dependence on foriegn oil is no end of political trouble either.

The only thing I can think of is people are fighting this because certain conservatives (read the Bush family, amongst others) are so deeply entrenched in the oil industry. Am I wrong? Conservative BOLers, why are you so anti-global warming?

Return to Top
#704973 - 03/22/07 02:56 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue doubledown21
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I'm not anti-global warming, I'm anti BAD SCIENCE.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at alternative fuels. I'm saying it isn't going to be a catastrophy if we don't.

I'm not anti-hybrid cars instead of SUVs, but do you realize that the current hybrids are actually more damaging to the environment than SUVs? Not in operation, but in creation.

It isn't being entrenched in the oil industry that causes people to fight this, it is not wanting some bad scientist to tell us how to run our lives.

Return to Top
#704977 - 03/22/07 02:58 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at alternative fuels. I'm saying it isn't going to be a catastrophy if we don't.
I'm not anti-hybrid cars instead of SUVs, but do you realize that the current hybrids are actually more damaging to the environment than SUVs? Not in operation, but in creation.

It isn't being entrenched in the oil industry that causes people to fight this, it is not wanting some bad scientist to tell us how to run our lives.

Maybe not in our liftime, but what about our kids? our grandkids? or great-grandkids? you want to leave them an Earth with unbreathable air and stripped of all resources?

Return to Top
#705004 - 03/22/07 03:30 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star

Maybe not in our liftime, but what about our kids? our grandkids? or great-grandkids? you want to leave them an Earth with unbreathable air and stripped of all resources?

Capitalism, left to its creative supply and demand devices, will find solutions to all these problems. On the other hand, government solutions will lead to failure. No body wants dirty air and water for our children.

Examples are everywhere. Want government health care, look at the VA mess.

Return to Top
#705007 - 03/22/07 03:33 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Pale Rider
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

Capitalism, left to its creative supply and demand devices, will find solutions to all these problems. On the other hand, government solutions will lead to failure. No body wants dirty air and water for our children.

Examples are everywhere. Want government health care, look at the VA mess.

Ah!
So,it all boils down to the old liberal/conservative arguments.

Return to Top
#705021 - 03/22/07 03:51 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I trust market forces over government hacks any day of the week. I am not certain this is a liberal/conservative argument, but so be it.

Return to Top
#705037 - 03/22/07 04:03 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

ROFLMFAO! Unbreathable air? Look, cars and oil don't do much at all to the air compared to those shoes you are wearing, the hot dogs you are eating, the clothes on your back, the television you watch, and the computer screen you are reading.

As for stripped of all resources, that's what makes man so unique. We have an amazing ability to find and create new resources. Who would have thought that the icky black stuff deep in the earth would be a resource we use so much? Who would have thought wow, lets try raising these big fat meaty methane producing beasts for food. Growing corn and making meal of it for bread?

If all these things were completely gone, we would find NEW things.

Return to Top
#705041 - 03/22/07 04:09 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Bengals:

Either you have a lot of faith that we're doing no harm to the planet...or you're completely foolish.

But...I think we owe it to the planet to take care of it...so I'm inclined to agree with Al Gore on this one...

Return to Top
#705045 - 03/22/07 04:11 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I agree with you BF, there will always be a new way to do things. I am in the heart of corn country and ethanol plants are going up left and right here. The ethanol blended fuels are cheaper.

Return to Top
#705050 - 03/22/07 04:15 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
But you get less MPG, so you spend more to go the same distance.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#705051 - 03/22/07 04:15 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Kms...no one is saying we can't make changes, and if I came off like that...sorry I did...

My point is unless we're forced to do something, we're probablly not going to...

Return to Top
#705058 - 03/22/07 04:20 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
max, I don't notice a change in my mpg but I drive one of those bad bad suv's. You are probably right about neo about not making a change until we have to but lucky for us there are always people out there (left and right) that are brainstorming new ways to do things. I think as a whole people would be more willing to make the changes the environmentelist want changed if the packaging was changed. Obviously doom and gloom are not working so send it out with a different bow and see what happens

Return to Top
#705061 - 03/22/07 04:22 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
See KMS...you call at brainstorming...a lot of people out there call these people "wackos" (left and right).

BF and others condemn Al Gore...but stop to think...WHAT IF? What if he is right?

If he's wrong, well then...I wasted money and effort on something that wasn't a big deal...it's just money...

Return to Top
#705073 - 03/22/07 04:28 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Ethanol only has 75% of the thermal energy that regular(fossil fuel) gas does. So if your car got 1,000 miles per tank on reg gas(not realistic, just to make the math easy on my poor brain), you would only get 750 from E85.

Plus ethanol is hydro-phoric, it absorbs water, so you can't pump it through reg gas pipelines where water is sitting in the bottom of the pipes.

Ethanol is a good start to help reduce our reliance on foreign oil, but it has alot of drawbacks as well.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#705086 - 03/22/07 04:37 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue *BUSTER*
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I will be honest, I don't buy into the global warming theroy. My belief is that it is cyclic. But what I think doesn't truly matter to anyone but me.

The bottom line is money. If the environ friendly products cost the same or less than the non-friendly products then it would be much easier for people to want to make those changes in they way they shop/use fuels/etc.

Hybrid cars are a prime example- some are over 10,000 more for a hybrid version. Talk about sticker shock. Sure you may save that over time but for me it is the up front cost that has me balking.

Return to Top
#705108 - 03/22/07 04:54 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
KMS,

Do some research on Hybrid crs. For example, if you look into it, you will find that the production and road consumption of a Prius ACTUALLY ends up doing more damage to the environment than the production and road consumption of a Hummer!

Return to Top
#705111 - 03/22/07 04:58 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Bengals:

Either you have a lot of faith that we're doing no harm to the planet...or you're completely foolish.

But...I think we owe it to the planet to take care of it...so I'm inclined to agree with Al Gore on this one...

You're wrong. I don't have faith that we are doing no harm to the planet. I'm not foolish on the issue either. I do, however, have faith that we will find ways to overcome any damage we do (which incidently is still less than natural forces are doing without us). I have faith that since people WANT to live in clean environments, left to their own devices, capitalism and good people will find ways to clean things up without scare tactics by people like Al Gore. I have faith that if we run out of oil, we will find a new solution. The FASTER we use these resources, the FASTER we will see alternate fuels. So, instead of being an environmentalist, I'd rather overuse and force advancements in technology.

Return to Top
#705114 - 03/22/07 05:00 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue B_F
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
that is probably true. I guess I should have used somethig else for the example I was trying to make.

Here goes. Recycled paper. costs more, does not play nice with laser printers.

Give me the option of buying recycled paper at the same price of regular paper then I will do it but until that happens I will probably keep on with my "supposed" earth damaging habits.

Return to Top
#705116 - 03/22/07 05:02 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Bengals:
I still don't comprehend how you think that humans and their gluttony of resources does less damage than natural forces.
But...you're entitled to your belief.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12