Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#735178 - 05/18/07 12:13 AM Job fair
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
So on Saturday there is a job fair. The job market stinks in this area and the ad only says "SE Mi regional job fair, don't miss this opportunity to meet and talk with corporate, education and franchise representative from around the country." So I'm thinking that there will be teaching jobs (which I'm not qualified for) fast food jobs, and then maybe some banking jobs. My question is, do I take my resume? Last time I went to a job fair it was very concentrated to one industry and they didn't want a resume. I don't want to look like a nerd with a briefcase holding my resume. It doesn't say to bring a resume. Anyone have suggestions? Appreciate any help. Also, it says free admission to all attendees which I find strange.
Last edited by tahdah; 05/18/07 12:14 AM.
Return to Top
#735185 - 05/18/07 01:04 AM Re: Job fair tahdah
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I think it's always better to be prepared, bring your resume.

Return to Top
#735220 - 05/18/07 12:28 PM Re: Job fair Sing A Little
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Do you have a leather bound folder, or clutch or something like that? It might look a little less nerdy than a brief case. But, by all means, have the resume available. You never know what opportunity may be there. Good luck!

Return to Top
#735235 - 05/18/07 12:50 PM Re: Job fair Nanwa
nat Offline
100 Club
nat
Frisco, TX
Bring your resume FOR SURE, better to be over prepared then under prepared! GOOD LUCK!!!

Return to Top
#735264 - 05/18/07 01:19 PM Re: Job fair nat
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
First, I don't think it looks nerdy to carry a briefcase since i have several myself. If nothing else, it will give you the appearance of being really serious about the job fair and prepared for anything. It might make you feel better to carry a smaller portfolio but definitely bring your resume. It always looks better to be more prepared!!

Return to Top
#735311 - 05/18/07 01:47 PM Re: Job fair Mocha's Mom
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Just hope that your employer isn't one of the ones there...franchise representatives makes it soulnd like they will be trying to seel you to buy into their business...

Return to Top
#735462 - 05/18/07 02:51 PM Re: Job fair tahdah
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
go for it Tahdah with your CV in hand, feel so bad for MI, been losing jobs and businesses for so long

Return to Top
#736598 - 05/20/07 12:24 AM Re: Job fair Pale Rider
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Well I'd like to thank everyone for their best wishes and advice. This was sponsered by Ford, Monster and other reputable companies. What a joke! First, I wore a pant suit and did take a brief case with my resume. I waited until later in the day hoping that the crowds had thinned, I'm going to guess that they had many thousands because at 2:30 it was still packed. Every "desk" that I was able to get to said, "you need to go to our web site to find available jobs, I don't know whats out there". No one would accept my resume, they said I needed to apply online. My employer was not there nor were any banks in the entire Country, plenty of colleges, armed forces and a few out of state companies. Most people dressed in horrible clothes. Some men in suits/ties with briefcases and women in dress suits, but they were far and few. No auto companies (no surprise), companies like 2 men and a truck, and many trucking companies. Talked to ICE (immigration and customs) and they said for most jobs they don't take anyone over 37. TSA is hiring but I want no part of that. So, this was a major let down. I had hoped for more. The only good news, is if these are some of the people I'm going to compete with I think I have a lead.
Last edited by tahdah; 05/20/07 03:21 AM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett