Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#871104 - 12/12/07 03:00 PM Re: Donate blood Nanwa
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
[quote=Nanwa][quote=Tom Thumb]

You were questioning why the Red Cross wasn't taking the politically correct line on the subject.

Quote:

When it comes to health issues, I am afraid we cannot afford to be "politically correct". They discriminate against junkies too. Any group that has a higher percentage of the potential for AIDS or HIV. But ALL donations are tested.
I'm with ya, Nanwa. Heck, they discriminate against those who've visited certain other countries, those who have had tattoos, those who have taken certain meds, and those who've had cancer!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#871109 - 12/12/07 03:09 PM Re: Donate blood Ops
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
My daughter has received over 24 blood transfusions. To those that donate thank you.

She received "infected blood" once - it contained Pseudomonas - which can be deadly. It was one of our scariest moments in the hospital. Almost as scary as the time that she almost bled to death in the PICU. Things get past the screening. Period.

To that person that suggested to lie on the questionnaire...I am so angry and disgusted that I am shaking.

My uncle died of AIDS. Yep he was gay. To heck with being PC. I've seen it first hand. And not really wanting to see it again.
Last edited by MOPNB; 12/12/07 03:24 PM.
Return to Top
#871126 - 12/12/07 03:18 PM Re: Donate blood QCL
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Things DO get past screening! About a month ago or so I read an article which stated that 4 organ recipients contracted HIV from the donor, who's blood tested negative for the virus during the screening process, yet was infected. I had to have about 40 units of blood and packed cells transfused back in 1983. I was living in an area about 100 miles outside of San Francisco. I am sure some of that blood came from high risk donors. NO test is failsafe. It comes down to the benefit outweighing the risks. Period. I give blood regularly, and have since I was a teenager. It is the right thing to do!

Return to Top
#871129 - 12/12/07 03:20 PM Re: Donate blood QCL
A_G Offline
10K Club
If you read my post, I didnt suggest to lie on the questionnaire...and I'm offended that you implied that I did.

"my question is - how do they know? why wouldnt you just lie and donate anyways...I'm sure the blood is screened right? It's not like it's labeled gay blood after the fact.... "

I was questioning the fact of how would Red Cross know the true answers to the questions...What does being PC have anything to do with it??? I was supporting the fact that anyone should be able to donate as long as the blood is screened after the fact.

I'm sorry I disgust you.

Return to Top
#871140 - 12/12/07 03:26 PM Re: Donate blood Jokerman
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
Originally Posted By: kitten
i said it and i stand by it.

Then you should explain it. How do you come to that conclusion?

Quote:
if every word is going to be called into question by someone claiming to know more than i do, it's so not worth it. it makes the experience antagonistic and unpleasant.

I didn't question every word - just the ones that were obviously wrong!

i don't believe i did turn it political at all. i was simply asking a question.

You were questioning why the Red Cross wasn't taking the politically correct line on the subject.

And YC, FYI, I was using bold type to point out the portion of the statement I was questioning. Nothing more.

how silly of me. how could i suggest that you weren't analyzing every word of a post.

breaking out each statement in separate quote highlights doesn't make you clever or smarter than anyone else. more anal, yes. but more clever, hardly.

Return to Top
#871142 - 12/12/07 03:29 PM Re: Donate blood A_G
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
I give blood, but I haven't been able to for 2 yrs b/c I got a tattoo, and several piercings.

I'm O+ they are always sending me stuff in the mail about donating, I like to do it. Except I hate needles!! I have almost fainted a few times giving blood.

Return to Top
#871151 - 12/12/07 03:33 PM Re: Donate blood *nUnZeO*
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I used to donate more often because there were more drives in the area of my old office. Now I pretty much donate when there is a drive at my current office. I need to do it more often. I am AB- which is the rarest. Less than 1 in 100. They call me all the time to donate.

Return to Top
#871171 - 12/12/07 03:54 PM Re: Donate blood *nUnZeO*
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
In the same post:
Originally Posted By: *nUnZ*
I give blood, but I haven't been able to for 2 yrs b/c I got a tattoo, and several piercings.

And then, nUnZ wrote:

I'm O+ they are always sending me stuff in the mail about donating, I like to do it. Except I hate needles!! I have almost fainted a few times giving blood.

You hate needles but you got a tattoo and "several" piercings?!? That makes no sense to me.

Giving blood is definitely a great thing, but I won't be an organ donor, I hear it makes ambulance drivers drive slower to the hospital.

Return to Top
#871178 - 12/12/07 03:58 PM Re: Donate blood FBH
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Oh, BlueHen, that is sooooo not true!

I think organ donation is another great thing to do.

Nunz, I always would be fine donating blood until the nurse would walk by and say "Almost done", then the room would spin, and they'd put the ice packs on the back of my neck! I could never watch them put the needle in!

Return to Top
#871191 - 12/12/07 04:07 PM Re: Donate blood Nanwa
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
They always loved me.. I'm a speed bleeder. In and out in 15-20 minutes tops.

Return to Top
#871201 - 12/12/07 04:13 PM Re: Donate blood Ops
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Needle-phobe here. I get all woozy whenever I have to have blood drawn or have an injection of any sort.

I tried to tough it out one time in college, but was really skinny at the time and passed out cold as soon as I stood up. Between those two things, I don't even try to donate any more.

Return to Top
#871230 - 12/12/07 04:28 PM Re: Donate blood RR Becca
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Yeah, they want you to be at least 110 pounds. I'm 125 now, but boarderline anemic. In the past, they would sometimes send me home, because my drop of blood wouldn't sink in that blue solution they use to determine iron levels.

Now they use a capillary tube and a centrifuge.
Last edited by Nanwa; 12/12/07 04:29 PM.

Return to Top
#871232 - 12/12/07 04:30 PM Re: Donate blood Nanwa
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: Nanwa
Oh, BlueHen, that is sooooo not true!

I think organ donation is another great thing to do.

I know. I was kidding!

Return to Top
#871238 - 12/12/07 04:32 PM Re: Donate blood FBH
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Careful BlueHen or I'll rip your spleen out! Hmmm....could probably get alot for it on the black market....

Return to Top
#871243 - 12/12/07 04:33 PM Re: Donate blood kitten
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
how silly of me. how could i suggest that you weren't analyzing every word of a post.

Listen, I read your post, and responded to something that was incorrect. Why don't you take some time and think about how it is that you came to believe something that was completely incorrect, rather than getting mad at me for questioning you about it.

Quote:
breaking out each statement in separate quote highlights doesn't make you clever or smarter than anyone else. more anal, yes. but more clever, hardly.

I'm not trying to be clever, dear. I'm trying to be clear.

Return to Top
#871253 - 12/12/07 04:34 PM Re: Donate blood Jokerman
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
please don't call me dear.

Return to Top
#871254 - 12/12/07 04:35 PM Re: Donate blood Jokerman
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Tom, chill! And roll up your sleeve please!

Return to Top
#871261 - 12/12/07 04:37 PM Re: Donate blood Nanwa
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
please don't call me dear.

Duly noted.

Originally Posted By: Nanwa
Tom, chill! And roll up your sleeve please!

Nanwa, I'm as cool as a cucumber, and have given plenty.

Return to Top
#871264 - 12/12/07 04:38 PM Re: Donate blood Nanwa
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
i would like to donate but i am unable to since i used to live in england before 1990.

i am an organ donor though.

Return to Top
#871275 - 12/12/07 04:44 PM Re: Donate blood Jokerman
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
Nanwa, I'm as cool as a cucumber, and have given plenty.

How do you know a cucumber is cool? Did you, personally, take a cucumber out of a refrigerator? Was it on ice?

*giggles*

Return to Top
#871282 - 12/12/07 04:47 PM Re: Donate blood FBH
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Originally Posted By: Fightin BlueHen
In the same post:

And then, nUnZ wrote:

You hate needles but you got a tattoo and "several" piercings?!? That makes no sense to me.

Giving blood is definitely a great thing, but I won't be an organ donor, I hear it makes ambulance drivers drive slower to the hospital.

Yep, I wanted a Tatoo and Different piercings. I don't sit there and watch. Anyway I don't have to explain anything to you, I'm sorry that just "doesn't make sense" to you

Return to Top
#871293 - 12/12/07 04:49 PM Re: Donate blood *nUnZeO*
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
I don't like getting shots either and when I watch Intervention and it's about a junkie who shoots drugs through needles I turn my head.

Why don't you find something better to do than pick apart other posters posts.

Return to Top
#871296 - 12/12/07 04:50 PM Re: Donate blood FBH
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Fightin BlueHen

Good thing that I kept reading... I was getting ready to start fightin with the bluehen

Nanwa I don't think that you can get much for a spleen...liver maybe...but the spleen is similar to a sponge - just absorbs really.

Sure if helps the immune-system and your WBC, but you can live without it. It was suggested that we remove the bear's.

Return to Top
#871297 - 12/12/07 04:50 PM Re: Donate blood *nUnZeO*
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Nunz, I really just think he was teasing. I know a lot of folks who hate needles but have tats and piercings.

Return to Top
#871298 - 12/12/07 04:51 PM Re: Donate blood *nUnZeO*
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I don't like getting shots either and when I watch Intervention and it's about a junkie who shoots drugs through needles I turn my head.

Why don't you find something better to do than pick apart other posters posts.

Easy Nunz, I think Hen was merely pointing out the irony of it. I had to chuckle myself when I read it. It's funny.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3