Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#91178 - 06/24/03 09:58 PM For singles Only!
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Comebacks to that all time favorite question "Why Aren't You Married Yet?"

You haven't asked yet.

I was hoping to do something meaningful with my life.

Because I just love hearing this question.

Just lucky, I guess.

It gives my mother something to live for.

My fiancée is awaiting his/her parole.

I'm still hoping for a shot at Miss/Mr. America.

Do you know how hard it is to get two tickets to Miss Saigon?

I'm waiting until I get to be your age.

It didn't seem worth a blood test.

I already have enough laundry to do, thank you.

Because I think it would take all the spontaneity out of dating.

My co-op board doesn't allow spouses.

I'd have to forfeit my billion dollar trust fund.

They just opened a great singles bar on my block.

I wouldn't want my parents to drop dead from sheer happiness.

I guess it just goes to prove that you can't trust those voodoo doll rituals.

What? And lose all the money I've invested in running personal ads?

I don't want to have to support another person on my paycheck.

Why aren't you thin?

I'm married to my career, although recently we have been considering a trial separation.

(Bonus reply for Single Mothers) Because having a husband and a child would be redundant.

P.S : You will really appreciate This Free advice if you are single in Our region !

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#91179 - 06/25/03 01:24 PM Re: For singles Only!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Heh Heh, I'm going to use that line sometime just for giggles.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#91180 - 06/25/03 01:43 PM Re: For singles Only!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Heh Heh, I'm going to use that line sometime just for giggles.

Reminds me of a line a friend of mine used to use when someone would ask him if they knew him from somewhere. His simple response was always:

"Have you ever been in prison?"

Return to Top
#91181 - 06/25/03 03:04 PM Re: For singles Only!
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
If I ever get married (I am the baby of the group - I changed my user name for my new position), when everyone hears that I am getting married, I want their response to be "What?! He's really getting married? Wow."

Return to Top
#91182 - 06/25/03 03:22 PM Re: For singles Only!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Been there, done that...married in my late 30s.

Return to Top
#91183 - 06/25/03 03:28 PM Re: For singles Only!
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
I was fortunate before I got married I could use the line - it is forbidden in my family for the youngest sibling to marry before the oldest (My brother and sister are both 37 and still happily single.)

Return to Top
#91184 - 06/25/03 03:39 PM Re: For singles Only!
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Back when I was single, I was considered an "older" single (btw, I got married at 25) and when people would ask when I was going to get married, I would always reply, "Next Tuesday. Wanna come?" After answering that way a dozen times to each person that asked, they finally stopped asking.

And, yes, it is very odd that a 25-year old single is considered an "older" single. To me it's more odd for almost everyone around me to marry straight out of living at home to someone else that was moving straight out of living at home. Ya know?

Return to Top
#91185 - 06/25/03 03:42 PM Re: For singles Only!
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
25? I didn't get married until I was 42.... of course there was that one at 19......... and then there was that one at 31...............

Return to Top
#91186 - 06/25/03 03:54 PM Re: For singles Only!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Back when I was single, I was considered an "older" single (btw, I got married at 25)

Just where the heck do you live that 25 is considered old for a single?

Return to Top
#91187 - 06/25/03 05:14 PM Re: For singles Only!
Jill Offline
Jill
Mississippi
Quote:

Quote:

Back when I was single, I was considered an "older" single (btw, I got married at 25)

Just where the heck do you live that 25 is considered old for a single?

People around here start to get worried if you're 25 and single.

Return to Top
#91188 - 06/25/03 05:24 PM Re: For singles Only!
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Well, of course, in the Deep South 25 is considered old for a single. Probably not so much so in larger cities: Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans, Atlanta, and maybe, just maybe Jackson

Return to Top
#91189 - 06/25/03 05:45 PM Re: For singles Only!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

when people would ask when I was going to get married, I would always reply, "Next Tuesday. Wanna come?" After answering that way a dozen times to each person that asked, they finally stopped asking.

When I was married we used to be asked constantly when we were going to produce some young'uns. (I'm from Washington, they actually asked if we were going to have children) but I wanted to be more southern...since I'm traveling. We used to say...."When it's legal to chain them to a wall and leave them with dried noodles for a week..."

Took only two or three times asking us before people quit asking (and probably called the adoption agencies to make sure we were never given children)

Return to Top
#91190 - 06/25/03 06:30 PM Re: For singles Only!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Here's the level of progession:

When you are single, you are asked "Do you have a boyfriend (or girlfriend)?" You must be careful in how you answer that because you will either be asked to produce the person, or you will be set up on a miserable blind date with the inquirer's niece, nephew, cousin, friend's brother, sister, etc.

When you are dating someone, you will then get asked "So are you two engaged?" Again, answer carefully because you will either be asked why not, or you may find yourself obligated to the above referenced miserable blind date.

Now let's say you've met someone, have gotten engaged, and are newly married. This is when the child bearing questions come out in droves. And EVERYONE will be asking, especially older women at work, and your mother/mother-in-law. My husband told me not to worry about his mother's questions until she started to put up the empty picture frame next to the photos of her other grandchildren.

My favorite, though, is after you've JUST HAD your first child, the same folks will now ask "So when are you having your next?" Geez - the episiotomy stitches haven't even healed!!!!

HOWEVER, if you have two children, and then become pregnant (or your wife becomes pregnant), the SAME people will then ask "My g-d, how many kids are you gonna' have?" What works best is the deadpan response "Twenty." and then walk away.

Return to Top
#91191 - 06/25/03 06:39 PM Re: For singles Only!
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I got married at 23 and divorced at 35. After 7 years of being single no one asks me if I'm getting remarried. I guess they figure I blew my chance.

Return to Top
#91192 - 06/25/03 06:58 PM Re: For singles Only!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Yes, here in the south, 25 is considered to be old for a single person. What annoys me is my girlfriend's landlord. He knows she has a boyfriend, but he insists that he is going to introduce her to his nephew!

Return to Top
#91193 - 06/25/03 08:44 PM Re: For singles Only!
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
it seems This is An International Issue where you got Bombarded with " why you are Not married questions ?".

One thing attarcted My attention though : The 25 Old years considered as Old in South of USA !

The marrige Age Has Gone Up These days : In Most Middle east Countires it is 35 yrs/Male and 30 yrs/Female.Of course things have changed dramaitcly and New Concepts and Perspectives evolved in the Past 10-20 Years that led to this High age for marrige !

Return to Top
#91194 - 06/25/03 09:08 PM Re: For singles Only!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
People have stopped asking me when I'm getting married. Now they only ask my parents or siblings that question about me, perhaps because they're afraid to ask me directly.

I once read that married people trying to get single people to marry is like a man standing knee-deep in freezing water yelling to someone on the shore, "Come on in: the water's fine!" While that's probably too misanthropic by half, it does give me a chuckle.

On the other hand, here is novelist Peter De Vries's take on the subject: Marriage is a garrison, but one not without appeal to someone out bivouacking every night.

Return to Top
#91195 - 06/26/03 12:46 PM Re: For singles Only!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
You are a riot Steve! Since I have been married and divorced and engaged again, I have decided on the longest engagement in history. And, people always ask when we will tie the proverbial knot again. My standard reply is "why ruin a good thing?".
No one has ever come up with an answer that was satisfactory to me.

Return to Top
#91196 - 08/22/03 08:01 PM Re: For singles Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

How many single people are on this site?

Return to Top
#91197 - 08/22/03 08:08 PM Re: For singles Only!
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Quote:

After 7 years of being single no one asks me if I'm getting remarried. I guess they figure I blew my chance.

Same here. Except in my case I think everyone sees how much fun I am having being single and they know better than to ask when I'm getting married again. In fact, many of my married friends are living a vicarious single life through me!

Return to Top
#91198 - 08/22/03 08:10 PM Re: For singles Only!
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I'm without a husband. I can't really say I'm single as I have a child. It changes the whole scenario when a child is in the picture.

People quit saying "When are you getting married?", etc. and start saying "That child needs a father."

Return to Top
#91199 - 08/22/03 08:26 PM Re: For singles Only!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Robert, I remember it used to be that way. All my cousins were married by the time they were 17 or 18. (This was in the 70s.) I waited until I was 23, and they all said "It's about time!"

They were all divorced by age 25. I'm still married, for 23 wonderful years!

Dawnie - Your dancing cat is making me dizzy!

Return to Top
#91200 - 08/22/03 09:11 PM Re: For singles Only!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Muhahahah Nanwa...my evil plan has worked!

Actually it's bothering me too...she's going away in about 32 seconds.

And...Anon, I'm sure there are several of us.

Return to Top
#91201 - 08/22/03 09:28 PM Re: For singles Only!
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Kansayaku, you have my utmost respect and admiration. The most difficult thing to do is raise a child well. I feel lucky that I don't have to do it alone.

Your child doesn't need a father - he/she needs good parent(s). No father is preferable to a poor one. And no matter what, you deserve a good husband. Don't settle for less.

If it is your wish, I hope you meet someone who is both a good father and a good husband.

Return to Top
#91202 - 08/22/03 09:32 PM Re: For singles Only!
Anonymous
Unregistered

WHen I was single, people would invite me to their weddings just so they could have enough single guys to catch the garter!!

Marriage is great! - your friendly, neighborhood BOL User

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2