Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#927122 - 03/20/08 06:06 PM HOEPA
Seadevil Offline
Gold Star
Missouri
I am ready to pull what's left of my hair out. I keep going back and forth, so I've decided to ask for help. I have searched through previous threads and just when I think that I understand, I find another that makes me question myself.

Loan for primary residence matures, customer's want to refinance. While inputing information, software claims that this is a HOEPA loan and can proceed no farther due to loan is for 36 mos. There is no new money in the refinance to the customer.

Is this exempt from HOEPA because it is an RMT? OR

Is it a HOEPA loan, but cannot be done because of the limitations?

Thank you in advance.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#927179 - 03/20/08 06:25 PM Re: HOEPA Seadevil
SavannahOne Offline
Diamond Poster
Georgia
It's not the 36 months, it's the APR (check your rate and fees). It sound HOEPA-eligible to me as it is no longer a purchase loan.

Return to Top
#927183 - 03/20/08 06:28 PM Re: HOEPA Seadevil
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is not an RMT as it is a refinance.

If this transaction involves a balloon payment, the loan cannot have a term of less than five years.

226.32(d) Limitations. A mortgage transaction subject to this section shall not include the following terms:

(1)(i) Balloon payment. For a loan with a term of less than five years, a payment schedule with regular periodic payments that when aggregated do not fully amortize the outstanding principal balance.

Return to Top
#927191 - 03/20/08 06:31 PM Re: HOEPA rlcarey
Seadevil Offline
Gold Star
Missouri
Savannah and Randy,

Thank you, I fully understand now. Going through my searches, the RMT is what was throwing me off.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z