Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#95618 - 07/09/03 05:10 PM effective date of transfer
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Per RESPA this is "...the date on which the mortgage payment of a borrower is first due to the transferee servicer." Loan is assigned same date as closing. Auditors are saying the effective date of transfer should be the first payment due date rather than the closing/assignment date. Anybody had to deal with this issue? What was your conclusion?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#95619 - 07/09/03 06:08 PM Re: effective date of transfer
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This is a defined term, 12 U.S.C. Sec. 2605 Servicing of mortgage loans and administration of escrow accounts --
Disclosure to applicant relating to assignment, sale, or transfer of loan servicing
(i) For purposes of this section:

(1) Effective date of transfer.--The term “effective date of transfer” means the date on which the mortgage payment of a borrower is first due to the transferee servicer of a mortgage loan pursuant to the assignment, sale, or transfer of the servicing of the mortgage loan.

That said, there is also this in RESPA itself, §3500.2 Definitions. In the case of a home equity conversion mortgage or reverse mortgage as referenced in this section, the effective date of transfer is the transfer date agreed upon by the transferee servicer and the transferor servicer.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#95620 - 07/09/03 06:22 PM Re: effective date of transfer
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
The hair the auditor is splitting is "...the date the mortgage payment is first due". Is that the first payment date or the date servicing is transfered? We've used the servincing trasfer date for years and now this comes up.

Return to Top
#95621 - 07/09/03 06:25 PM Re: effective date of transfer
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Is that the first payment date or the date servicing is transfered?

I read it to say the date the first payment goes to the servicer is the transfer date to be listed, for most mortgages. The RESPA exception is noted for the other accounts above.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top