Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 21 of 94 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 93 94
Thread Options
#1285276 - 11/12/09 02:34 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 pjs
Carter's Mom Offline
100 Club
Tulsa, Oklahoma
On a refinance loan without an escrow, am I right in saying that the property tax does not need to be disclosed anywhere on the HUD 1?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1285346 - 11/12/09 04:07 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Carter's Mom
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
On the list of providers that we give to clients, is tehre some kind of disclosure that needs to be on the list?

Return to Top
#1285442 - 11/12/09 05:53 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 ahkcompliance
BNKO Offline
100 Club
When a lender receives a loan package from a broker who has already provided a GFE, can the lender provide a new GFE, or only a "revised" GFE with those terms and fees that have changed due to a changed circumstance? In other words, are lenders bound to the GFE the broker provides?

Return to Top
#1285444 - 11/12/09 05:58 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
Will B Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
1. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where "when we require the service" is listed in the instructions. All items in Blocks 4-6 must have a provider list if you allow the borrower to shop.

2. You do not need to provide a list of recommended providers for insurance. Only Block 4-6 items.

1. I didn't think we were required to give a provider list on something like a home inspection if we're not requiring one, but it's in the purchase contract bewteen the buyer and seller. Are you saying that we'd need to give a provider list in those situtations?

2. I was referring specifically to Owner's Title Insurance, which is in Block 5. We don't require the borrower to purchase this except where it's required by state law.

Return to Top
#1285448 - 11/12/09 06:03 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Will B
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Will-

1)-no-if it is a lender required service that would be a different story

2) Owners title is optional everywhere we lend as well, but they still want it disclosed so the borrower is aware of the cost up front, even if they don't want to purchase it. In either case, we do not allow the borrower to shop for their own.

Return to Top
#1285470 - 11/12/09 06:32 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Carter's Mom
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: Carter's Mom
On a refinance loan without an escrow, am I right in saying that the property tax does not need to be disclosed anywhere on the HUD 1?

You are correct.

Return to Top
#1285472 - 11/12/09 06:34 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 ahkcompliance
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: ahkcompliance
On the list of providers that we give to clients, is tehre some kind of disclosure that needs to be on the list?

Not by regulation. You may WANT to add a disclaimer indicating you don't endorse the providers, have no relationship with them (if applicable), etc.

Return to Top
#1285488 - 11/12/09 06:52 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 BNKO
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: BNKO
When a lender receives a loan package from a broker who has already provided a GFE, can the lender provide a new GFE, or only a "revised" GFE with those terms and fees that have changed due to a changed circumstance? In other words, are lenders bound to the GFE the broker provides?

This is an area of confusion for me and others. There are several Q&As in the RESPA FAQs you should review.
GFE-General #7 & 16,
GFE-Changed Circumstances #8 i) & xv).

Return to Top
#1285496 - 11/12/09 06:58 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 BNKO
Brad B Offline
100 Club
Brad B
KS
Originally Posted By: BNKO

3500.7(f) says that you are bound by the broker issued GFE unless you must issue a revised GFE due to a changed circumstance or borrower requested change. The Q&As about "changed circumstances" might help as well (or they may just confuse you).

I understood the speakers at the OTS conference call held this month to essentially say that you are tied to the broker's GFE.
Last edited by Brad B; 11/12/09 07:03 PM.

Return to Top
#1285566 - 11/12/09 07:47 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
It depends on why you now require the escrow. If you just decide to, that would not be a changed circumstance. If the loan is a HPML and you are required to escrow, that would be a changed circumstance. There could be other reasons - like the appraisal comes in lower, a change in programs, etc. - that could constitute a changed circumstance. You can't just change your mind from not escrowing to now wanting one.

For clarification reasons, it is not just a "we now feel like it" but say we find out during the underwriting process that they have been dilequent on taxes, so we want to make sure that they remain current on taxes while they have an outstanding loan with us, so we now want escrow. Is this a changed circumstance that would justify changing the GFE?

Return to Top
#1285629 - 11/12/09 08:32 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 DD Regs
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I think it would be, DD. If you discovered that after the GFE was issued, you could do that.

Return to Top
#1285635 - 11/12/09 08:42 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 jlroberts
dbrunow Offline
Originally Posted By: jlroberts
Originally Posted By: dbrunow
Page 32, Answer 1 of the FAQ states that "using the HUD-1 form does not subject a transaction to coverage under RESPA."

Does this apply to the GFE as well?

It's amazing that we read the FAQ over and over (I even do a find) and still overlook what you want to find.

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ that says the same thing about the GFE.

Return to Top
#1285659 - 11/12/09 09:08 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 dbrunow
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The point is that optionally giving any disclosure doesn't make the loan subject to the law/regulation.

Return to Top
#1285663 - 11/12/09 09:09 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 DD Regs
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
For clarification reasons, it is not just a "we now feel like it" but say we find out during the underwriting process that they have been delinquent on taxes, so we want to make sure that they remain current on taxes while they have an outstanding loan with us, so we now want escrow. Is this a changed circumstance that would justify changing the GFE?

Good question. My opinion - if you find out they are delinquent on taxes, that is a changed circumstance that allows you to change loan terms, such as requiring an escrow.

Return to Top
#1285706 - 11/12/09 09:39 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Is there a page 2, block 2 expert in the house? This is what has me scratching my head. Looks like most of the guidance is geared towards mortgage brokers, not lenders...I need to know if points in the total of block 1 need to be disclosed in block 2, box one. Also, if a credit is being given for all or some, can we choose to simply subtract form the total in Block one and not clarify in block 2, box 2?

Return to Top
#1285780 - 11/12/09 10:20 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 TB 12
Will B Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
Will-

2) Owners title is optional everywhere we lend as well, but they still want it disclosed so the borrower is aware of the cost up front, even if they don't want to purchase it. In either case, we do not allow the borrower to shop for their own.

Your answer to #1 seems to be in conflict with David's. What is the basis for your conclusion? I agree with you but I realized that I couldn't find anything in the Federal Register or the FAQ that supported my view.

Regarding #2, I agree that we need to disclose an amount in Block 5 even if we don't require owner's title insurance, but I wasn't sure if we needed to list the provider on our provider list. I guess that will be answered based on how we resolve item #1.

Return to Top
#1285795 - 11/12/09 10:32 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 TB 12
Will B Offline
Gold Star
Is there a page 2, block 2 expert in the house? This is what has me scratching my head. Looks like most of the guidance is geared towards mortgage brokers, not lenders...I need to know if points in the total of block 1 need to be disclosed in block 2, box one. Also, if a credit is being given for all or some, can we choose to simply subtract form the total in Block one and not clarify in block 2, box 2?

In a retail loan (no broker) You can choose to include the discount points (charge or credit) in block 1. If you do that you'd check box 1 in block 2 saying that the points are already included in block 1.

As an alternative you can show the points in block 2, which means they would not be included in block 1. When using block 2, if the borrower pays points to get a lower rate you would show this in the third box in block 2. If they receive a credit in exhange for a higher rate you'd use the seccond box in block 2. This is from an ABA phone briefing presentation by Weiner Boedsky Sidman Kider.

Return to Top
#1285847 - 11/12/09 11:56 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Will B
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Will B

In a retail loan (no broker) You can choose to include the discount points (charge or credit) in block 1. If you do that you'd check box 1 in block 2 saying that the points are already included in block 1.

As an alternative you can show the points in block 2, which means they would not be included in block 1. When using block 2, if the borrower pays points to get a lower rate you would show this in the third box in block 2. If they receive a credit in exhange for a higher rate you'd use the seccond box in block 2. This is from an ABA phone briefing presentation by Weiner Boedsky Sidman Kider.

Sox, For what it is worth, that is the way I understand it too.

Return to Top
#1285874 - 11/13/09 02:35 AM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA

You are correct.

David - is this stated in the Q&A? I'm not finding it. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1285923 - 11/13/09 01:11 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Will B
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Will-

Your answer to #1 seems to be in conflict with David's. What is the basis for your conclusion? I agree with you but I realized that I couldn't find anything in the Federal Register or the FAQ that supported my view.

Regarding #2, I agree that we need to disclose an amount in Block 5 even if we don't require owner's title insurance, but I wasn't sure if we needed to list the provider on our provider list. I guess that will be answered based on how we resolve item #1.

I would certainly defer to David, but if the home inspection is not a lender required service, regardless of whether it is in the sales contract, you don't need to provide a list of home inspectors. JMHO

Return to Top
#1285928 - 11/13/09 01:23 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 DD Regs
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro

Thanks to both of you. Now to come up with a consistent procedure. eek

Return to Top
#1286008 - 11/13/09 02:51 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Jan94
dbrunow Offline
Originally Posted By: Jan94

You are correct.

In the instructions for completing the HUD, it says "Lines 901–904. This series is used to record the items which the Lender requires to be paid at the time of settlement..."

Return to Top
#1286045 - 11/13/09 03:23 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 TB 12
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle

Thanks to both of you. Now to come up with a consistent procedure. eek

Personally I prefer we show them the points in the 3rd box.

Return to Top
#1286056 - 11/13/09 03:29 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Jan94
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: Jan94

You are correct.

No. No where does it say you need to disclose taxes - except in the 1000 series (escrow). It's not that they tell us NOT to disclose it. Rather, it's they don't tell us to disclose it.

Return to Top
#1286061 - 11/13/09 03:31 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
but if the home inspection is not a lender required service, regardless of whether it is in the sales contract, you don't need to provide a list of home inspectors. JMHO

I agree. Only lender required settlement services & Owner's Title Insurance (whether required or not) are listed on the GFE.

Return to Top
Page 21 of 94 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 93 94

Moderator:  QCL