Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#129212 - 11/21/03 10:57 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm just going by the alternate "careers" that you've initially listed.

Return to Top
#129213 - 11/21/03 11:03 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

But, in only 24 years of life, I don't profess to have learned a great deal about the job market, but I have learned this.....There are many times where we can not change the person or the circumstance, what we can change is how we choose to look at it. Everyone have a good weekend.

The first part is oh so true. As the the second part - you can willfully change anything: how you view yourself, your skills, your goals, your career, your set of circumstances - anything and everything - but you must first come to terms with reality and make your own path based on what you clearly see as good for you and your family.

Return to Top
#129214 - 11/24/03 10:21 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The young, therefore obviously unqualified to make comments concerning this post, again. Maybe you have answered this, but what do you do for a living and how did you reach your current level of employment? What are some of the jobs that you have held, and how did/didn't they help you get to your current position?

Return to Top
#129215 - 11/24/03 11:11 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The young, therefore obviously unqualified to make comments concerning this post, again. Maybe you have answered this, but what do you do for a living and how did you reach your current level of employment? What are some of the jobs that you have held, and how did/didn't they help you get to your current position?

First, you have got to be able to put a sentence together wherein all the words fit and make a point. Second, it's all a game and you simply need to learn the rules of the game. If you are in banking, it's one of the easiest vocations in the world.

Return to Top
#129216 - 11/25/03 05:23 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, when offered the chance to enlighten us, you take the opportunity to avoid the question(s) asked of you. Yes, I am in banking. That's why I use this site - to learn more about my current profession. As asked earlier, what brings you here?

Return to Top
#129217 - 12/02/03 05:10 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

.I suspect that Don always had those qualities and skills with the banking experience only supplying the product. Most bankers do not have entrepreneurial skills.

I suspect that this anonymous post'er doesn't have much to offer either (other than criticism). I bet you list "critical thinking skills" high on your resume.

Return to Top
#129218 - 12/02/03 05:35 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Huh?

Return to Top
#129219 - 12/02/03 07:39 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Given some of the posts to this thread, are all BOL'ers members of "Thinkers Anonymous"?

Here's one story:
It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true.

Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time. I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, " I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job."

This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..." "I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!" "But Honey, surely it's not that serious." "It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed. As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinkers Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting.

At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's."

Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting. I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett