Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#1559071 - 06/01/11 04:38 PM Safe Deposit Box
IAHawkeye Offline
New Poster
If a customer does not pay the rental fee for the lock box after notices have been sent to the customer can the bank then debit the customer's deposit accounts(if they have any)? If the bank can debit the customer's account are they required to send the customer a notice that the bank is going to debit the customer's account for the safe deposit box fee? Thanks

Return to Top
#1559114 - 06/01/11 05:22 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box IAHawkeye
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
You will need to review the contract to see what the default and payment provisions are.

Return to Top
#1560981 - 06/06/11 05:31 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box IAHawkeye
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Safe deposit boxes are regulated by 1) contract and 2) state law. I would want an explicit grant of authority from one or the other before debiting a customer's checking account for a payment.

If that unauthorized debit would cause a check to be returned NSF you will have bigger problems than a past due rental.

Return to Top
#1563853 - 06/11/11 04:53 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Elwood P. Dowd
lilbo52 Offline
New Poster
Illinois
our disclosure states that: 'we may now set off the funds in this account against any due and payable debt you owe us now or in the future, by any of you having the right of withdrawal, to the extent of each persons right to withdraw'. I would think that since they didnt close the account we would be able to charge them the fee since it is money owed to us. There may also be something in the fine print of the safe deposit box contract stating that you can. We mail letters for a few months and then a certified one and then drill & close the box. We also put messages on any existing accounts to bring it to the tellers attention that they owe us so they can remind the customer as they do other transactions.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G