Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Thread Options
#1981815 - 12/09/14 03:21 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i used to be a registered democrat, then i grew up and switched to republican, then i matured and switched to independent, then i got smart and now have no party affiliation.

Do i think police shoot black people in error - yep.

Do i think it is open season by the police on black people- nope.

And statistics published by numerous sources show that many more whites are killed by police than blacks, year in and year out. so, again, what are we protesting in NYC, and Berkley, and Ferguson, and Chicago, and Detroit, and Atlanta, etc...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1981820 - 12/09/14 03:32 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? HappyGilmore
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

And statistics published by numerous sources show that many more whites are killed by police than blacks, year in and year out.

There are issues with that assertion:

www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements...-whites-blacks/

www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements...-about-shootin/

Return to Top
#1981828 - 12/09/14 03:41 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
From citation above.

Kind of stands the entire discrimination piece on its head

"McCoy noted that this has more to do with income than race. The felony rates for poor whites are similar to those of poor blacks."

"Felony crime is highly correlated with poverty, and race continues to be highly correlated with poverty in the USA," McCoy said. "It is the most difficult and searing problem in this whole mess."

CAMS

Return to Top
#1981843 - 12/09/14 04:02 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
It amazes me there are no reliable databases to track LE shooting fatalies.

Return to Top
#1981845 - 12/09/14 04:10 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1981847 - 12/09/14 04:17 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man

And statistics published by numerous sources show that many more whites are killed by police than blacks, year in and year out.

There are issues with that assertion:

i'm not sure how you can say their are issues with the statement:

Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks

Return to Top
#1981850 - 12/09/14 04:19 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
well I included some links that go into detail about the issues.

Return to Top
#1981857 - 12/09/14 04:38 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
yes, and I took your link and included the comment in my response:

Originally Posted By: from Stupes link
Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks

now, i agree that if you want to discuss percentages that it is disproportionate, but that is not what i stated. and you can't assert the fact that actual numbers do not lie.

Return to Top
#1981858 - 12/09/14 04:39 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Actually, you know what, that's maybe not a fair response from me. those links could be blocked for you at work or something so i'll summarize:

A) the data on these things in general are spotty-stats on deaths caused by police rely on either self-reported or based on death certificates that dont have to mention if the police were involved and there are a lot of accuracy issues.

B)you didn't specify which stats you were talking about so i included the one Bill O'Reilly mentioned. And in that one it included hispanics among whites.

C) overall whites represent a much bigger chunk of the total population-- 5 to 1 or so. So the likelihood or per capita or any kind of calculation that takes that into effect are gonna show the opposite of what you are asserting. death rate due to legal intervention are higher for blacks.

Now, as Ed kind of alluded to, there are a bunch of other factors to consider as well--and then factors that go into those factors. It's a complicated, complex web

Return to Top
#1981862 - 12/09/14 04:44 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? HappyGilmore
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
so, again, what are we protesting in NYC, and Berkley, and Ferguson, and Chicago, and Detroit, and Atlanta, etc...

Well, i can't speak for the protestors (and it's unlikely they all have the same exact view and issues), and not even trying to state my own opinions on these, but i see 3 major issues at play here

1) the use of force by police--how much, when, against who

2) accountability of police and their relationship with prosecutors

3) the role race plays in all of this

Return to Top
#1981863 - 12/09/14 04:49 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
4) free TVs

Return to Top
#1981865 - 12/09/14 04:50 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
C) overall whites represent a much bigger chunk of the total population-- 5 to 1 or so. So the likelihood or per capita or any kind of calculation that takes that into effect are gonna show the opposite of what you are asserting. death rate due to legal intervention are higher for blacks.

I do not think that this is a valid factor as the minorities have been claiming all along that they interact with police more frequently than whites. If the whites do no interact with police the frequency to be shot/killed would naturally be a lower percentage.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1981867 - 12/09/14 04:53 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
1) the use of force by police--how much, when, against who

The against who is; individuals committing crimes (even if considered by some as being petty)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1981877 - 12/09/14 05:11 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
see Stupe - you are reading more into it, so therefore trying to factor many things in to show that what I stated is incorrect...i am simply stating that more whites are killed by cops than blacks...which is true

nt trying to discern the percentage, or the rate, or if hispanics are included, or chinese, euro, whatever...a simple number...

if you want to delve off and discuss all these other factors, you are more than free to do so...but that does not change the simple fact that a larger number of whites are killed by cops annually

Return to Top
#1981883 - 12/09/14 05:29 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
well I included some links that go into detail about the issues.

Here, we'll add some additional link that goes into detail about the issues.

http://i.imgur.com/YIJWBKK.jpg

http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv10.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats/

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cri...der-2013-_final

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/leo...-summaries-2013

Of the 49,851 officers who were assaulted in 2013, 14,565 (29.2 percent) sustained injuries.
31.0 percent of the officers who were attacked with personal weapons (e.g., hands, fists, or feet) suffered injuries.
14.6 percent of the officers who were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments were injured.
10.9 percent of officers who were attacked with firearms were injured.
27.0 percent of officers who were attacked with other dangerous weapons were injured.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/leoka/2013/officers-assaulted/assaults_topic_page_-2013

Much assistance was given in helping me with these links.
Last edited by noelekal; 12/09/14 06:00 PM.

Return to Top
#1982683 - 12/12/14 01:20 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15