Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#418216 - 09/02/05 04:45 PM REG CC question
LSmith Offline
Platinum Poster
LSmith
A Case-by-case hold on a local check must be available on the second day. What good is that when we have checks that take up to a week before we know they are coming back? By then the money could be gone. Too late then to put an exception hold on. Someone help me understand what good is putting a hold on a check taken, ie, Monday to be released tuesday night to be available on Wednesday.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#418217 - 09/02/05 06:20 PM Re: REG CC question
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
This is only one of the problems with Reg. CC. A number of years ago, there was an attempt to change local case by case checks to third day availability, but it didn't happen.

Return to Top
#418218 - 09/02/05 06:56 PM Re: REG CC question
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The last statistics that I saw indicated the average return time for a local check was 2.2 days. For a nonlocal check, the average return time was 5.5 days. On two occasions, the Fed went to Congress and asked that they increase the case by case hold periods to 3 and 6 days for local and nonlocal checks respectively.

Congress was clearly unimpressed. Regulation CC is a consumer protection law, it was never intended to assure that the banks got an even break. Accordingly, only the exception holds provide any significant amount of protection.

Return to Top