BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#90253 - 06/20/03 04:00 PM New FDIC Exam Procedures
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
We've been hearing for months about the new FDIC compliance exam procedures - well the FIL introducing them was just sent today. The FIL contains an attachment of the first couple of introductory chapters about the risk-based approach and about sound compliance management. They say the complete exam procedures will be available on their website in June, so that only gives them 10 more days. More info here.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#90254 - 06/20/03 04:42 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I received the questionnaire yesterday for the new exam procedures. We will be having an exam by the FDIC in August. Very thorough and they will be interviewing a myriad of employees from tellers to the CEO.

Return to Top
#90255 - 06/20/03 06:05 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could Mary Beth post the new FDIC questionnaire on BOL? It would be great to get a preview.

Return to Top
#90256 - 06/20/03 06:06 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I had a PM from someone requesting this so I asked the examiner and just got his reply. He said it's all right to share. Mary Beth?

Return to Top
#90257 - 06/20/03 09:38 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

I received the questionnaire yesterday for the new exam procedures. We will be having an exam by the FDIC in August. Very thorough and they will be interviewing a myriad of employees from tellers to the CEO.

Did they specifically mention the Q & A with various employees? My interpretation was the examiner would be having in-depth conversations with the Compliance officer and any management involved in the compliance process, but not tellers and the like.

I hope that those who are subjected to these new exam procedures will report back with the "poop scoop". Our compliance exam is not until the 1st quarter of next year so fortunately that means you guys will be the guinuea pigs! I am always a bit hesitant when they go changing things around like this. Its like it sounds good on paper, but in reality does this mean the CO goes through hours and hours of interegation of their knowledge on EVERY compliance law? Thats what I'm afraid of based on some articles I have read about this new method.

Return to Top
#90258 - 06/23/03 11:11 AM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yes they even mentioned tellers. I may sit in on the interviews if I like and I can even choose who they talk to.

Return to Top
#90259 - 06/23/03 12:16 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Magic and I were at a conference in Florida eariler this year and heard the FDIC's senior compliance person from Atlanta describe the new process. While it sounds like "same old, same old" in some respects, FDIC supervised banks should take it seriously.

Their internal audit/examination techniques should be revised in a reflective fashion; i.e. they should interview employees too. Consider, the first time you were interviewed for a newspaper article or TV spot, how did you sound? Employees need to be comfortable with the information, but they need to be comfortable with the process too.

Examiners are trained on how to interview bank personnel. Bank personnel should be trained on how to be interviewed.

Return to Top
#90260 - 06/23/03 01:11 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Could Mary Beth post the new FDIC questionnaire on BOL? It would be great to get a preview.

If someone will send it to me, I'll post it.

Return to Top
#90261 - 06/23/03 01:30 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Re: FDIC new exam procedures -- how does this compare with the Fed's current procedures for exams? Did Fed already make a similar change?

Return to Top
#90262 - 06/23/03 09:46 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ken - do you have any resources that might be helpful in how to do this?

Return to Top
#90263 - 06/24/03 03:10 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

It's up! All 20 pages of it. Yikes.

Thanks to Al Miller for sending it.

You can get it in PDF or Word .doc format on the Banker Tools page.

Return to Top
#90264 - 06/24/03 03:14 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks MB and Al.

Return to Top
#90265 - 06/24/03 06:07 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am working on getting the info together in response to the document request linked to above for our FDIC compliance exam starting July 14th. I am somewhat confused about the wording diference between item 8 and 9 on page 8 (Truth in Savings section).

Item 9 asks for statements for each type of consumer account while item 8 asks for statements for each type of interest bearing account which incurred maintenance. My question may seem basic, if so, I appologize ahead of time. I have several years of experience in compliance, but it is almost exclusive in loan compliance or I should say non deposit related. The bank I am at now does not have a strong deposit side compliance officer and I am being asked if FDIC really wants copies of commercial account statements even though this is under TIS section. Our examiner is out of the office until Monday which is the day he is expecting our info.

What does everyone else think? Should we copy commercial account statements as well. My operations officer says it will require substantial time to research and find accounts which actually have been maintenanced.

Return to Top
#90266 - 06/24/03 06:38 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Since these questions are in the TIS section, I would limit the request to accounts covered under the regulation. If they want more, they will ask.

Return to Top
#90267 - 06/24/03 08:23 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
Thanks for posting on the BOL. Our exam is in late July.

Return to Top
#90268 - 06/25/03 12:56 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I assume each field office has control over the check boxes on the CIDR as to whether they want the individual items sent or held. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, another new acronym for us to pronounce - CIDR (Compliance Information and Documentation Request) - I'm going with pronouncing it as "Cider" as in "We just got the cider from the FDIC."

Return to Top
#90269 - 06/25/03 01:39 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
bean Offline
100 Club
We have our exam the week after yours starts. I would be curious as to how it goes with the new CIDR and all.
If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM with any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.
This is my first exam, and am somewhat tentative about how this will all go.

P.S. They didn't send us this new CIDR so I am thinking that we are still working off the old one they sent several weeks ago.

Thanks,
Bean

Return to Top
#90270 - 06/25/03 01:58 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I talked on the phone with the FDIC and we went through all items, deleted some, etc. We do not have consumer leases and that section was removed. He indicated which items to send and to hold, but he also stated that if I was uncomfortable about forwarding items to let him know and we would retain here for his review when they arrive.

Return to Top
#90271 - 06/25/03 03:02 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
SkyDiver Offline
Gold Star
SkyDiver
Northeast
Cider...good. The Cider is far reaching into bank's policies, practices, etc. Do any of the questions/requests have a more sour taste than others to our BOL compliance folks? Has the Cider been an impetus to change any of your compliance program?

Return to Top
#90272 - 06/25/03 04:32 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Quote:

Item 9 asks for statements for each type of consumer account while item 8 asks for statements for each type of interest bearing account which incurred maintenance.

I agree with ricarey that this is only for accounts covered under TISA. This is not a new request, btw, it was also on the old Document Request List. What I did in our last exam is provide a periodic statement for each type of consumer account and for the ones that were interest-bearing I made sure to find some statements that included maintenance fees. The examiner did not ask for additional information.

What puzzles me about the section on Interest on Deposits (page 8) is the difference between # 4 and # 6...first they ask for "access to a copy" in # 4 and then in # 6 they want a copy.

Opinions are my own and not those of my employer.

Return to Top
#90273 - 06/25/03 07:18 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Severeral of you have mentioned that the FDIC will interview a myriad of employees from tellers to the CEO. Where do you see this or know this. I am looking at the Questionnaire and it has a sheet for the bank to list the contact person for each major product or dept. so I would think you can control who they talk to. We have always given them a sheet early on and told them the name and number of the person they should speak to about a particular question or process and then we have always ensured that this person had the knowledge necessary to deal with them or we put the CO's name instead. We are a large bank and so much of our loan compliance is built into our system so if they were to ask a lender they might not know but I am not sure that is their intent. Just wondered why some of you are saying this????

Return to Top
#90274 - 06/25/03 07:22 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I was told verbally by the examiner. He also stated that we could choose who he spoke with and even sit in on the interview.

Return to Top
#90275 - 06/25/03 07:45 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was told verbally as well about the interviews. He said they would speak to some members of the Board and Senior Management to determine if they understand the policy and procedures and who they think is responsible for doing what and then they would interview some staff members to determine if they understood what the polices and procedures were and in particular what did Senior Management expect of them. My understanding was I would give the names of the staff to be interviewed to the examiner.

The examiner stated the purpose of the interview process was to identify potential red flags. If they found any than they would sample account records to see if deficiencies existed.

Return to Top
#90276 - 06/26/03 11:41 AM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
One thing I forgot to mention that they asked for. We have contacted our flood determination companies and requested a list from each on loans that are in a special flood hazard area. This is to be provided to the examiner and has been amazingly easy to obtain.

Return to Top
#90277 - 06/30/03 07:09 PM Re: New FDIC Exam Procedures
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have looked at the new FDIC Questionnaire and while it appears to require more paper to give to the FDIC, I think it is something we can gather and get but wonder why they want to see things like the Pricing and Credit Committee minutes and Loan quality control reviews. This appears to be Safety and Soundness, not compliance. Also the retention of having to keep all pre-testing and post-testing data of any new product seems like a lot. And then having to match up each loan product made by month with the denials for that product per month seems too burdensome. Maybe when someone has an exam in the near future, they can enlighten us on why they needed certain things.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2